Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love is in the Air

I think it is so cute how excited my children get about Valentine's Day.  I only planned one Valentine's Day craft, but my children had other ideas.  We have been making a lot of hearts around here.  This valentine was all C's idea.  He was getting ready for bed one night and ran to find me and tell me that his hands made a heart shape and he wanted to use paint to make hand print hearts.  The next day we were all ready to make them, but C changed his mind.  I'm not surprised.  He doesn't like paint on his hands.  R was willing and able though.

She doesn't mind a little paint on her hands.  We had a lot of trouble trying to position her hands just right on paper to make them look like a heart.  We went through a lot of paint and paper with our efforts.  We finally got one that was close enough.

I drew a heart around her hands.  Then she took a bath!

This week we are enjoying a few great books about love:
  • Porcupining, A Prickly Love Story by Lisa Wheeler  (this is my personal favorite of the week and it is a fun read any time of year so definitely look for it at your library)
  • Henry in Love by Peter McCarty
  • The Very Quiet Cricket by Eric Carle
  • The Story of Valentine's Day by Nancy J. Skarmeas (this is a great book to explain to young children why we celebrate Valentine's Day)
  • The Best Thing about Valentines by Eleanor Hudson
  • My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall
You can find all of these books on my Shelfari on the left sidebar of my blog.

7 comments:

Annette W. said...

How sweet...and sad!

Have C trace his hands! Then put on a cut out heart since it was his idea...that way he can have pride in his own creation, and not just R's!

Bran said...

same thing happened to me, I really didn't have any Valentines activities planned but they came up with them all on their own. Hearts really are fun for kiddos.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

R did great - too bad that C opted out. It's great that they come up with their own ideas. Anna keeps drawing Valentine cards - mostly squiggles and circles, and they are all for me :) She is in such a lovey mood lately, I want this phase to last forever.

Jennifer said...

Nani's been cutting out hearts like crazy lately.

We even did a version of the Valentine tree you posted a few days ago!

~ Jennifer
http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww how sweet! love her red hands! maybe he can still make a heart with his hands just another way :)

my girls are all excited about valentines too :)

Michelle said...

I have the handprint heart planned for today. So cute!!!

Susana said...

C had a great idea, and this turned out adorable.

Reagan is so pretty. Her hair is getting so long. I like it alot.

Do you think she looks like you from that grade school pic on FB? I do.