Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Mayflower


Thanksgiving Day by Anne Rockwell is a great introduction to why we celebrate Thanksgiving.  The story is told by Charlie, a student in Mrs. Madoff's class.  The teacher reads the class a story about the first Thanksgiving and the class acts out the story.  Each student has a role and explains why he or she is thankful.  For example, Charlie is the Mayflower and he is thankful that he tossed and rolled, but did not sink in the waves.  We really like the book and recommend it!

After reading it several times, we decided to make our own Mayflower.  I cut a boat shape out of a large piece of cardboard.  C and R worked together to make it look like the Mayflower replica in the book.


They used markers and paint to add details.



Using packaging tape, we attached wooden dowels to the back of the boat.  The sails are just copy paper that we affixed to the dowels by poking holes through the paper.  Finally, we taped on some construction paper flags.  

Do you like all of the barrettes in R's hair?  This is her new favorite look.  I don't have the heart to tell her it looks crazy.
C and R both like the size of our Mayflower.  They are having fun playing with it. 

11 comments:

Amanda said...

So cute! You are just so creative!

phasejumper said...

We like that book, too! Great craft!

Debbie said...

We were going to talk about this subject yesterday but our earthquake got in the way. Love their Mayflower. You should link up with my Geography/History linky.

Ticia said...

I love it! We'd have to take apart a lot of boxes to do that here, they never want to work on a project together. They each have to have their own.

I wonder if it's something in the air, Princess is wanting barrettes too now.

MaryAnne said...

I love your Mayflower boat!

Joyful Learner said...

We just read that book too! Great idea to make the Mayflower! We might have to try this as well.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Awesome project. We enjoyed this book as well, and I wanted to make Mayflower. Anna, however, was not interested :)

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

It turned out fabulous! I love it! And I can't believe there's a Thanksgiving book that I haven't seen yet. I thought I had exhausted the genre. Thanks for the recommendation!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a great project, and they worked so nicely together on it -- well done!

I think R and Clara must be on the same wavelength with all the accessories. LOL :-)

Jenny said...

LOL about the hair! Abby likes to do this to MY hair!

Cool Mayflower! I've never seen this book before, but it sounds cute!

Brimful Curiosities said...

That's a great ship!