Thursday, June 16, 2011

Paintsicles


Last week, it was really hot here, and that got me thinking of summery fun.  I squirted a little bit of paint into a few styrofoam cups (one color in each cup) and stuck them in the freezer until they started to get solid.  Before they were too solid, I put a popsicle stick in each cup to make paintsicles. I made red, yellow, and blue paintsicles for C and R.  Now that I think of it, it might be fun to try to make a rainbow paintsicle by freezing each layer just enough so that the colors would not blend....hmmmm, I'll have to try that.

By the time we got around to using them, the warm weather was gone, but they were still fun to use.


First, I peeled the styrofoam cups off of the frozen paintsicles.  Then, I gave R a large piece of poster board that we had on hand and let her create with the paintsicles.



When she was done, I stuck the paintsicles in the freezer (on a cardboard vegetable tray) to use another day.


It was only sixty degrees when we did this, so there was no melting factor.  I assume that if you paint with these on a hot day, you will have a very different (and still cool, fun, and creative) experience.

14 comments:

Ticia said...

I wonder how my kids would respond to my freezing their beloved paint......

Anonymous said...

Very fun! we will have to try this soon! Looks like a lot of fun for a hot summer day!

MaryAnne said...

I love this idea! We'll be trying it this summer, for sure =)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

You just froze the paint? Did you add extra water to it first?

Debbie said...

This is such a neat idea.

I am looking below and just realized in all my business I didn't do the linky for geography/history...oh well!

Christy Killoran said...

@An Almost Unschooling Mom - Yes, I just froze the paint as is - no added water.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Oh! I love this! E does not like messy hands! So, this is perfect! This will be a DEFINITE for us!

Kerri

Brimful Curiosities said...

I'm interested to see if you do get a different kind of painting result in hotter weather. Hope you post about that, too.

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

What an incredible, ingenious, creative idea! I LOVE IT! PLEASE, oh please, link this up to It's Playtime! That would be wonderful on a super hot day! Its too bad your hot weather disappeared before you got a chance to use them - but I'm sure there'll be many more chances!

Jen said...

Cool idea. Always lots of fun and learning in your neck of the woods!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Interesting idea. We did frozen food coloring, but frozen paint could be fun. Was it poster paint or water colors that you froze?

April said...

I am absolutely going to try this! We live in Florida so its going to be hot every day until November lol

Educational creativity said...

If you water down the paint it will melt better and llok like watercolor paints. We do this every winter and read the snowy day by keats, the pics turn out beautiful

Susana said...

We are going to be making these for sure!!