Monday, March 29, 2010

Marshmallow Chicks


We have been enjoying two books about marshmallow chicks, and I have been waiting anxiously for the right opportunity to revisit the salt paint technique we used for our Texas cactus painting.  Marshmallow chicks have the perfect texture to recreate with this technique.  The finished product really feels like a marshmallow chick.  I love this paint.

The books we read are:


Max Counts His Chickens by Rosemary Wells - R LOVES Max and Ruby and this book is really cute.  The Easter Bunny has hidden ten pink marshmallow chicks and Ruby finds all of them while Max just makes a mess.  When it looks like there are no chicks for Max, Grandma makes a phone call and the Easter Bunny comes to the rescue.  R likes to help Max count the right way when he gets the numbers mixed up at the end!


Owen's Marshmallow Chick by Kevin Henkes - We have owned this book for years, and it is definitely for younger children, but R still loves it.  Even though she has progressed to longer picture books, she still enjoys listening to toddler books! 

For the craft, I drew chicks similar to those in the Rosemary Wells book.


I then mixed up some salt paint.

Here is the recipe:  1/4 cup liquid laundry starch
                             1/4 cup water
                             2 TBSP paint
                             1 cup salt
                             Mix it well and paint!
                             This recipe makes a lot of paint and R continued painting with it long after she was done    painting the marshmallow chicks.


R had a blast making pink marshmallow chicks!  Then she enjoyed one or two of the real thing!

13 comments:

Susana said...

We are reading both of these right now too. They are some of our favorite Easter books.

I LOVE this paint and it makes these chicks look just like real peeps!

That's a cute picture of R too!

Ticia said...

I need to track down that Kevin Henkes book, I know I have it somewhere in board book, but where.......

Love that last picture of R, the gleeful grin on her face is precious.

Jenny said...

Abby loves Max & Ruby books. We have never read that last book, but I've seen it before. Cute chicks and I love the salt paint idea.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Cute craft! We have some of Max & Ruby books at home too, but for whatever reason Anna chose to read about snow right now :)

Susana said...

Joe, Jack and I just did this. It was SO fun!!

Anonymous said...

we LOVE those books!

This is the cutest craft i never thought of doing peeps craft like that how totally cute!!!

I'm going to add this to our Peeps day we are doing thursday :)

off to get the books out of the pile!

thanks for the great craft my girls are going to love this!

Anonymous said...

we LOVE those books!

This is the cutest craft i never thought of doing peeps craft like that how totally cute!!!

I'm going to add this to our Peeps day we are doing thursday :)

off to get the books out of the pile!

thanks for the great craft my girls are going to love this!

Allison said...

I love Max counts his chickens--we got it last Easter. Cute craft!!!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What fun activities! Mark will have to tell you about the time the marshmallow Peep mobile visited his office at work! Fun times!

Deborah Stewart said...

Really cute idea!

Mark said...

Dear Christy,

There was a convention in the parking lot where I work. Just Born, the company which makes Peeps, had the peep-mobile there, and one of my co-workers went over and asked if they had any peeps.

Amazingly, they had NONE! About a month later, the peep-mobile returned, and the guy from the convention gave my co-worker a case of peeps. I forget the exact number, but I think it was 24 boxes of peeps, 9 peeps to a box.

That's when we found out that not many people in the office actually LIKE peeps.

This is what the peep-mobile looks like!

Mark

Sherri said...

Yummo...so fun!

Michelle said...

This is an awesome book project, they look like real peeps!