Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Worrier

I worry.  It's what I do best.  I wish I could be more like my husband; he just doesn't let things bother him.  He definitely does not understand why I worry.  Seriously, I should worry less.  I have a great husband who happens to have a great career.  My children are happy and healthy.  We are surrounded by family.  We live in a beautiful home in a wonderful neighborhood.  We have more than we need.  You get the idea.  Life is good in this neck of the woods.

I have no explanation for my worries.  I think that I was just born with the worrying gene.  Even as a child I worried.  I used to worry about getting good grades, making friends, and keeping everyone around me happy.

Some of my worries are typical mommy worries - germs, safety, education, chemicals in products (oh, I could go on and on about this one), organic food vs. conventional food, etc.  Some of my worries are crazy and I won't even dare to write them here or you would run far and fast and never visit me again - see I worry about you never visiting me again too!  I even worry about my worrying and how it impacts my children.  By worrying, am I sheltering them too much, preventing them from taking risks?  

Many of my worries, however, are ridiculous and yet I still have them.  Recently, I was concerned about the number of books I typically request from the inter-library loan program.  My concern was that this cost of transporting books to my library was a burden on the library that I love and visit several times a week.  I was relieved to find out that requesting these books actually helps the library to keep their numbers up where they need to be to stay open.  So, what did I worry about then?  Oh no, is there a possibility that my library could close?  Libraries are closing all over the country; how sad.  USE YOUR LIBRARY!

Anyway, I am ranting here.  Are you a worrier, or are you one of those special people who manages to be carefree and happy without a concern in the world?

16 comments:

Jenny said...

I am for sure a worrier. I have so much anxiety.

Annette W. said...

I'm a worrier too...Derek isn't.

Recently we found a bump (under skin) on Evan. I automatically thought the worst. Derek waited to hear what the dr said.

I'm BAD! I use the next county's library (about 2 minutes further) instead of the town I live in bc their audio books are free and I like their selection more. SO SO BAD! I think I need to use both or something.

Thanks for your help, by the way!

Laura said...

Very much a worrier, unfortunately. But, if I didn't worry, I'm afraid (another worry) that things would fall apart around here since my worrying is the glue that holds things together and keeps things functioning.

P.S. We are big library users here too! I'd be so sad if our libraries closed though several branches have cut back hours.

Cindy said...

I worried a lot with our oldest and I have def. become more relaxed with my other two. Don't beat yourself up too much. I think as mom's we naturally worry and are concerned about our children's well being. We live in a crazy world. I can't tell you how many times I have worried about what crazy things might happen to my kids at school especially now with all the crazy kids. You just have to remember that you can't control everything and have hope that all that you have taught them will help them in sticky situations. Try to relax and don't sweat the small stuff. I should really listen to myself, b/c I really do worry way to much too. Read up on Free Range Kids.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am totally a worrier. I read once that worry and guilt are too totally useless emotions since they prevent us from focusing on us, but still I can't help it.

Librarian Mommy said...

I am a worrier too and reading your post had me shaking my head yes because I think abou all of those things - especially the part about it limiting my children in some way. However, it is who I am and I try to let go a little bit more as my children get bigger, but this world can be a big scary place FOR ME! Please please please continue to use your library - I work in a public library so keep borrowing and visiting. I even worry about the future of libraries - will we all one day walk into our public library with our kindles to download books??? There's something to worry about!

Ticia said...

I'm not a huge worrier, but Jeff is. We joke about it a little. Of course I do have horrible nightmares sometimes, and Jeff doesn't like when I get those, because I usually wake him up to make sure he's still awake.
A great Bible study I did once on worrying is called "Calm My Anxious Heart," I highly recommend it for when you are worrying.
Oh, wait I do worry about whether or not people will keep reading, so that worry I share.

Adriana said...

I am a terrible worrier. It is nice to know that I am not alone. :)

Cara said...

I am a big worrier too, and my husband is the exact opposite. I can completely relate! I've written more than one blog post about this topic before. I don't really have any great solutions, though I will say that blogging/journaling about it did help me a little...at least temporarily.

Susana said...

OK, I won't even bother commenting on this--YOU KNOW I worry 24/7 about everything under the sun!!

Great post!

Deborah Stewart said...

I am not a worrier - my father used to tell me when I was little, "Why worry - worry won't get you where you are going any faster or any better, it is just a waste of good energy. Use the energy to be a doer and now you will get where you need to be." So I guess I always adopted this line of thinking. I consider matters then put them in perspective as to what I can do or not do about them but protect my emotional energy for the things I can do something about. Does this make sense?

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Christy,

Leave all the worrying to me. I am a trained professional!

<3,
Valerie :-)

danita said...

worrier, too! can't tell you how much sleep i've missed out on b/c i'm worrying about all the things i can't control!

Anonymous said...

i think it is so normal for us to worry we are mom and we want to protect and shelter our little blessings :)

I worry all the time about Gidgets Heart Murmur, If Froggi is going to be ok at school, If kids are being mean to her or how Gidget will do in Kindergarten.

Heck last week I lost sleep cuz i thought my 13 year old dog had something serious wrong with her!

(V.Kerr) School Time Adventures said...

I'm not by nature a worrier (too many adrenaline junkie activities I want to do to be a worrier). However, since I have had children I do think twice about doing things. I used to have anxiety about other things but do you know what helped? I went to a woman who was trained in some kind of emotional release technique, energy type work, and it was amazing!! Also have you ever tried "Rescue Remedy" by Bach Flower Remedies, also an amazing product that is in=expensive at the health food store. Hope that helps?

Lynn said...

I've always been a worrier too. My husband NEVER worries. I say I do enough for both of us.