Friday, July 23, 2010

Caps for Sale - Day 1


We are currently enjoying Caps for Sale by  Esphyr Slobodkina.  If you are not familiar with this book, it is about a peddler who carries his wares (caps) on his head.  He takes a nap next to a tree and wakes up to discover a tree full of monkeys that have taken his caps. 

This book has a few new vocabulary words that C and R learned:  peddler, caps, and wares.


C and R enjoyed retelling the story with felt pieces.  We do have a felt board, but they prefer to just place the pieces on the table.


We worked on counting skills by counting all of the caps on the peddler's head.  He had seventeen.


C and R ran around the house looking for caps and found twelve.  


Then they tried to put all of the caps on their heads; they managed to get about four hats to stay on their heads.


Even I had trouble getting them to stay.  C mentioned that the peddler's caps were all flat, unlike ours.

Stay tuned for Day 2 of our Caps for Sale fun!

11 comments:

Stacy said...

Great job! Did you make the felt pieces? They are so cute. What a great idea!

danita said...

cute! you are so creative! i don't know if it's the heat or what, but i feel like my creativity is at an all time low!

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea to actually act out the book.

Annette W. said...

You crack me up!

Adriana said...

We have this book in Spanish and it is one of Diego's favorites. Where did you get those felt pieces. Don't tell me that you made them yourself. :) Can't wait to see what else you do with this book.

Ticia said...

I'm impressed with C's observation about the hats.

My kids loved this book about a year ago, and would act it out. I need to dig it up again and read it to them again.

Christy Killoran said...

@ Stacy and Adriana: I wish I could say that I made the felt pieces, but I am not that talented. I bought them from www.GlitterfulFeltStories.com

@Danita: I go through creativity slumps too. It's only normal.

@Annette: When my husband reads this post, he is going to be SO embarrassed for me. Oh well!

Teacher Tom said...

This is one of the greatest kids books ever! What a lot of fun you're having. Can't wait for the next post.

We like to act the story out at school. The children particularly like when they get to throw their hats at me!

Goat Gal said...

Great ideas! We just got this book from the thrift store so I will be keeping an eye on your blog for more great ideas!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

The last photo made me giggle. I am amazed at variety of hats you found in the house. What a great idea to have fun with them.

MommyTeacher123 said...

I love it-how fun!