Friday, July 2, 2010

Ice Painting

I love lists, and I love checking things off on lists that I write!  Last week, I posted our summer bucket list and Ice Painting was at the top of the list.  Recently, Valerie from the Frugal Family Fun Blog had her girls use ice cubes to "paint" in paint with water books.  I thought it would be fun for my kids too.


We don't have any paint with water books, so we tried something a little different.  C and R each used watercolor pencils to create their own art.  We have been using watercolor pencils a lot this week, you may remember R's rain art earlier in the week.  It's funny, C wanted no part of the rain art, but he loved this art project.


R drew a bunch of scribbles and C drew a water ride he remembered from an amusement park.


Once they were done drawing, I gave them each an ice cube and they "painted".


They giggled quite a bit while commenting about how cold the ice felt, but they thought it was a lot of fun.  C actually made three ice paintings and definitely wants to do this again.  Here are their masterpieces:

I love the way the water in the drawing of C's water ride looks after being "ice painted"!

Later in the day, C and R wanted to paint with ice again but they wanted to do something different.  I had a few of the little packets of Kool Aid so we sprinkled some on watercolor paper and they painted with ice and Kool Aid.

This would have been better if we had different colors, so we will be trying this again.  It was fun to combine our love of Kool Aid painting with our love of ice painting!

C and R were both covered in red Kool Aid the rest of the day, and C ran around the yard screaming, "I'm bleeding, I'm bleeding!"

We will be doing a lot of ice painting this summer!

6 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I can just imagine the Kool-Aid mess we'd have, if we tried that. There's no way I'd be fast enough with the wet wipes! But, what a lot of fun :)

Ticia said...

I'd of done the same thing as C, "Help, help I'm bleeding!" Ahhhh, fun memories.

This looks like so much fun! I need to remember this when we come back.

Rebecca said...

Kool-aid is a great idea! Andi bet your right and itd be great with different colors.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's funny - Anna had a project in school where they painted with Koolaid ice pops - Anna loved it and loved the fact that her project smelled nicely afterwards. I think I'll check this off my list too :)

Jenny said...

Oh man, Kool-Aid is so messy! We did ice painting awhile back. My sister mixed paint with water in ice cube trays and put a toothpick through it. When frozen, they held the toothpick and painted with the cube. We used card stock, but watercolor paper would have been a good idea! LOL!

Neat pics, love the ride!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Hysterical!!!!

I love how their pictures turned out, and it looks like they had soooo much fun!! Yay!!!!!

Thanks so much for the link -- I really appreciate it! :-)