Wednesday, May 29, 2013

STEM Day Rockets

Today was STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) Day at our elementary school, and I was lucky enough to spend the morning designing and launching rockets with Collin's class.  

 



Collin's rocket flew eighty-five feet!  He was very happy with that number.  The farthest launch was two hundred feet, but most of the rockets flew between fifty and one hundred feet, and many of them did not fly at all.  The poor artsy creative kids who tried to make their rockets unique ended up with rockets that did not fly, while the kids who tend to be more scientific and precise were successful.  That's life, kids.  Rocket scientists are in that field for a reason.

It was a fun morning, and I'm happy I was able to be there.

You can see a YouTube tutorial on how to make a paper rocket that flies here:

4 comments:

Sherri said...

This is a great project! I love to make rockets with my kiddos!

Anonymous said...

Good job Collin!! He did a great job :-)

MaryAnne said...

Those rockets look really cool! Sending that video to Mike - and my brother!

Ticia said...

My kids would love that!