Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Banned Book + Art for stArt


Banned Books Week is September 26 - October 3, and the purpose of this week is to bring attention to the importance of the freedom to read and the harm censorship causes to our society.

I chose a banned book for our stArt project this week. Draw Me a Star by Eric Carle is a fantastic book that celebrates imagination in true Eric Carle style. It is a story about an artist who discovers art and life through drawing.

Cravens Early Childhood Academy, a public school in Texas, banned this book after a teacher brought it to the attention of the administration that the book contains nudity.

In this book, the world is created through drawings. The artist in the book draws a star and the star then tells the artist to draw the sun. Every thing that is drawn then tells the artist to draw something else until another star is drawn and the star and artist travel together across the night sky.

The woman and man drawn by the artist are unclothed. There is nothing offensive about the illustrations, unless you find collage style nudity to be offensive. If you do, then you probably need to relax a bit. Just my opinion!

After reading this book together, we headed to our creation station for some art. I reread the book, one page at a time and C and R drew each object that was requested throughout the book. I drew C's star though. He was getting frustrated and I knew that if I didn't draw the star, he would get upset and refuse to continue the project. I was happy that he drew everything else. R drew everything.

This is R's final product:

This is C's final product:

I love that he drew a nude man. I also love the way his rainbow crosses the sky. Honestly, I love all of the detail in this drawing. He worked very hard to make it just right.

C and R both enjoyed this project. I thought it was a fun way to retell a story.

For more information about Banned Books Week, click here. To learn more about stArt and to see other stArt projects, visit A Mommy's Adventures.

13 comments:

Susana said...

I'd never heard of banned book week. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I love their finished pictures. C has some great drawing capabilities!

We like this book too.

Trudie said...

You can see how proud they are of their drawings! They came out great!

growing and learning by leaps and bounds said...

great stuff and Excellant ideas to do a banned book!

Love their drawings!!! they are soo great!!!

Bran said...

C and R did a GREAT job! I've gotta go check out that book now, I love Eric Carle and the book sounds wonderful!

aly in va said...

Looks like they had fun with art. Our library celebrates banned book week by setting up a fake jail and the kids all volunteer time to sit in it and read the banned books while people walk by. Very cute.

momandkiddo said...

It boggles my mind that a book like this would cause someone to want to ban it. As if a child had never seen a nude person before.

I think your kids' art is fantastic, and I love that you are able to have a "creation station". I try not to be envious of people with enough space to have a permanent art station! It's hard, though!

Jenny said...

I've never heard of this book. I love the kid's drawings.

I have an award for you!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have just learned about banned books from Infant Bibliophile. It's mind boggling for me that there could be banned books in US. Strangely, it's never the books that promote racial prejudices or violence that end up on this list, but rather the books that are talking about human sexuality. Good for you for selecting a "banned book". I've seen it in the library and considered for the StArt next week :)

Michelle said...

Oh wow I love everything about this! They both did an amazing job. Thank you for linking up :0)

Mandy said...

We read that book once and I thought it was lovely. Looks like you all had great fun with it.

SmartPumpkin'sMom said...

LOVE Eric Carle! But we never saw this one......Hmm...They banned it pretty well, I suppose(which is ridiculous!). LOL
Your kiddos have some talent there. ;)Good job1

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

you're so funny about people needing to relax a bit. ha ha I totally agree but that was funny.

I love what C came up with that's awesome.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I had no idea that book was banned.. wow! Light up, people. Sheesh! What GREAT art they did this week. You must be so proud!!!