Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hand print Earth


We are reading a few of our favorite books about our wonderful planet this week:
  • What a Wonderful World by George David Weiss and Bob Thiele
  • Fancy Nancy, Every Day is Earth Day by Jane O'Connor
  • Earth Helpers Count the Ways to Save our Planet!  by Alyson A. Zachary
  • Michael Recycle by Ellie Bethel
C and R both knew a few ways to take care of our planet.  I was impressed.

We took our paints outside to make hand print earths.  I traced a large bowl onto some paper that was used to wrap a shirt that we recently purchased.  I made a point to mention to C and R that we were recycling this paper!  I cut out the circles and they painted them blue.


Once the blue paint dried, I painted their hands green (C was a willing participant - I was shocked!  I think he participated only because green hands are monster hands.)


and they made hand prints on the blue circles to look like earth.

  Happy Earth Week!
I am linking this to stArt.  Go visit A Mommy's Adventures to see more great book projects!
    

17 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a great project - it's great that you managed to actually add a real hands-on recycling activity to it. All those books look very interesting - we only read Michael Recycle (from our own collection) on this list. I have to look for Earth Helpers - illustrations look very nice.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww those turned out SUPER!!!! I LOVE them and what a great selection of books :)

Jen said...

Thanks for the book suggestions! I love the photos of the kids- too cute and their big Earths!

Happy Earth Day!
Jen

Miller Moments said...

Fabulous idea!

Ticia said...

Super cool!
FYI: Kohls Cares for Kids book right now is "The Lorax" along with a couple of other Seuss books. Sadly they're all sold out at my closest one.

Michelle said...

What a great project!!

Adriana said...

That is a fun painting project. They are studying Earth day at school and I am sure Diego would love to make it.

Bran said...

very cute project, I think we may do that today.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Way to craft - and recycle!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Great collection of earth day books! I gave up finding decent ones at the library. I'll have to make a note of these for next year. :)

OurHopeIsInTheLord said...

Great job, that is very creative with the handprints as the earth.

Unknown said...

I love the hand print Earths. What a great idea.

sbswtp said...

What a fun project! I love doing hand print art and I haven't seen this before :)

Amanda said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

Great idea! Very nice!

Brimful Curiosities said...

What gorgeous earth artwork!

www.kiboomu.com said...

Great Earth Day project. Will be sharing it on our site!

all the best,
Sherry + Wendy @ Kiboomu