Friday, August 27, 2010

Community Helpers

I hosted story hour at the coffee shop yesterday, and our theme was community helpers.  We focused mostly on police and firefighters but we did talk about other people who help us in the community.


I read three books:  Firefighters to the Rescue by Kersten Hamilton, Police Officers On Patrol by Kersten Hamilton, and Whose Hat Is This?  by Sharon Katz Cooper.

For the craft, I gave each child a boy or girl cardstock cutout and they could choose between a firefighter helmet or a police hat.  They decorated the firefighters and police officers with markers and glued on the hats.




7 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a GREAT idea!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Ticia said...

How cute. I need to start thinking of some crafts to do with kids for my MOPS group. I'm not used to thinking in scale, so this will be interesting.

Miller Moments said...

I love that you have story hour at your coffee shop. That's my kind of story hour! Fun books and crafts!! :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I like that they got to choose what sort of helper to be.

Jenny said...

Who is the community helper with red panties? That's too funny!

Great idea and it looks like the kids loved it!

MaryAnne said...

Great activity idea, and it looks like the kids had fun!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love this idea - they all did a great job. It looks like C has a new haircut too :)