Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tea Party Breakfast


Yesterday, we had a tea party breakfast.  We own the book, Fancy Nancy Tea Parties by Jane O'Connor and we used some of her ideas.  The book is cute; it is basically a how to guide for hosting tea parties.  We also read Miss Spider's Tea Party by David Kirk and Tea for Me, Tea for You by Laura Rader.  Both of the books are great.

C and R helped me make apple pecan muffins (the recipe is from Ellie Krieger from the Food Network and we LOVE these muffins, we make them often) and while we waited for them to bake, they made their own place mats by decorating large pieces of construction paper.  I helped R by cutting her paper into the shape of a butterfly.


After they finished decorating, I covered both sides of the mats with contact paper to make them more durable.  People always ask me what contact paper is, so while I'm thinking about it...contact paper is shelf liner, you want to buy the clear kind to use for crafts.  You can find it at WalMart, Target, grocery stores, and probably plenty of other places.  I always have it on hand because we use it often! 

The Fancy Nancy ideas were well received by R (no surprise there)!


Doilies made our table look a little fancier, and the raspberry swirls looked and tasted great.


To make the Fancy Nancy raspberry swirls, you just cut the crusts off a piece of bread and roll it flat between wax paper.

Spread raspberry jam (we used Polaner all fruit) over the bread, roll it into a log, and cut into slices.

I was very happy to see that the strawberries and nectarine slices I put out were eaten quickly!  Funny thing, I offered C and R the same strawberries and nectarines earlier in the morning and they were not interested.  Once I put them out as part of our tea party, they ate all of them!


Just to set the record straight, R asked for a tea party, but C insisted that he was attending a picnic, not a tea party.  R and I drank tea, C drank water!
  

9 comments:

Sherri said...

This is awesome! We have all the Fancy Nancy books...and LOVE them all! WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS....I love that you made a breakfast tea party! =)
I need you email again...I thought I saved it! =)

Thanks you soooooo much for the book recommendation...I always am needing help in that area!! =) =)

Annette W. said...

You are such an awesome mommy! I'm glad the tea party and picnic were such fun!

We have tea parties here with just water. E is too little to have an opinion other than loving it.

danita said...

funny! is that iron man on C's placemat?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've noticed the same thing at "tea" here - fruits, and cheeses, left untouched, are suddenly favorite foods :)

Ticia said...

My kids always destroy strawberries, they don't last. It's a frequent breakfast here.

We need to get back into the habit of eating tea for lunch. Of course to do that, I need to clear my dining room table.

I need to look up that muffin recipe, the one I have currently is good, but it uses a LOT of oil.

Ticia said...

Oh, and my theory is that's Batman on his placemat. Looks like Batman to me.

Christy Killoran said...

@Danita and Ticia: C says that he drew video game man. I have no idea who that is supposed to be because C doesn't even play video games.

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun! I love the jelly roll swirls, very fancy.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Great idea and great books. It cracked me up that C "modified" his experience while still participating in your tea party.