Thursday, September 16, 2010

Constitution Day


On September 17, 1787, the U.S. Constitution was signed by thirty-nine brave men who changed the course of history.  Constitution Day is observed every year on September 17th.  I certainly do not expect C and R to understand the constitution, but I think they are old enough to know that the constitution provides us with rights and freedoms.

This week we read We the Kids by David Catrow.  This picture book is a great introduction to the preamble to the constitution.  Catrow's funny illustrations help to explain what the preamble is, and there is a great glossary in the beginning of the book to help children understand the language of the preamble.  I am not going to pretend that C and R were interested in the language of the preamble.  More than once, I was told it was boring.  They did like the illustrations though.  Like I said, my goal was simply to introduce them to the constitution.

They did enjoy watching the Schoolhouse Rock video of the preamble on YouTube.  I recommend watching this with  your kids.  I love Schoolhouse Rock!

After reading the book, C and R made American flags.  We cut out seven red stripes and six white stripes (I did most of the cutting, but they did cut one or two stripes).  They glued the stripes to a large piece of paper.  Then they glued a blue rectangle in the top left corner and stuck fifty star stickers on the blue.  Our stars were tiny so, unfortunately, they are not proportionate to the flags, but the idea is there.


Don't forget to wear red, white, and blue tomorrow for Constitution Day!

I am linking this post to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.

10 comments:

danita said...

thanks for the reminder! i'm going to check this book out; since we've been to lots of historic places but it is hard to get it to sink in!

phasejumper said...

Thanks for the info! I knew it was Constitution Day, but had no clue how to celebrate it. We'll definitely be watching the Schoolhouse Rocks video!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I haven't been able to spark any interest in the kids for the constitution - I hope my library has We The Kids - if nothing else, it looks cute :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I had no idea of Constitution Day - I learned something new today. Your US flag looks great, and I will have to look for this book one day - adding it to my "For Later" list.

Sherri said...

Thank you for the reminder....I love all opportunity to teach my children about our country and the constitution.

Debbie said...

Thank you for the reminder. I will have to figure out something to do. I love the flag! That sounds like a great book just perfect for the day!

April said...

I'm a bad bad American, I didn't even realize it was Constitution day. Actually I don't think I ever realized what day it was. Thanks! Coming thru from stART.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I still need to work on teaching the Pledge yet. Bravo for teaching your kids about the history of our country. At least they liked the illustrations!

Jenny said...

I've never seen that book, you always find the neatest things!

Great idea to introduce them to it. I loved Schoolhouse Rock too!

Unknown said...

I forgot is was coming up. Nice craft.