Monday, October 11, 2010

Scarecrows


These scarecrow cookies have become a fall tradition in our house.  Well, this is the second year we have made them; is that enough to consider it a tradition?  I say yes.  This year, the base for our cookies is our favorite molasses cookie recipe - yum!  I topped a few molasses cookies with vanilla frosting, chocolate chip eyes, candy corn noses, chocolate jimmies (the rest of the world may refer to those as sprinkles, but in this neck of the woods, they are "jimmies") for a mouth, and shredded wheat cereal (I actually used Kashi's Cinnamon Harvest cereal) for hair.  The hats are made out of sugar wafer cookies and I put a few pumpkin sprinkles on top for decoration.

We have a few favorite scarecrow books that we are reading now. 


The Scarecrow's Hat by Ken Brown is a clever story of problem solving.  Chicken would really like to have Scarecrow's straw hat.  Scarecrow will swap it for a walking stick, and while Chicken does not have a walking stick, she knows someone who does.  Chicken begins a quest to find items to trade among her farm friends. 

The Little Scarecrow Boy by Margaret Wise Brown is a very sweet story about a little scarecrow boy and the lessons he learns from his scarecrow father every day.  Will he be ready to use that knowledge when the time comes? 

Scarecrow Pete by Mark Kimball Moulton is about a scarecrow who uses books to transport himself to new places.  When a young boy stumbles upon Pete, he learns how magical reading can be.  As a lover of books, I think this is a wonderful story.  It always makes me smile. 

I love scarecrows.  Laugh if you must, but the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz has always been my favorite character in the movie. 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are very cute! I'd say it's a tradition too.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I have those books on hold at the library (plus a few others) - and I can't tell you the number of scarecrow cookies, and cupcakes I've looked at online - yours are very cute, jimmies, and all :)

MaryAnne said...

What a cute scarecrow treat! I love scarecrows, too =)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

The cookies are adorable! Yay for new fall traditions!!! :-)

Jenny said...

Cute cookies! I'm going to look those books up now!

Amy said...

Those are so adorable! I think if you've done it more than once, it counts as a tradition!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love the treat - they look so yummy. I'd better go have lunch before I reach for a sweet snack :) We read some of these books last year and enjoyed them a lot.

Ticia said...

I need to add scarecrows to my lists of things to get.

My kids have been agitating for making one.

Lynn said...

For some reason, the cookie photo won't load for me, but they sound adorable, AND delicious!

Lynn said...

PS I think traditions are a state of mind, so yes, two years running counts in my book!

Goose and Bug said...

Last year for our Halloween hayride, my mother kept referring to it as "The annual family hayride." I asked if two years made it annual. She said yes, so I think yours works, too. :D
I love scarecrows, too! They're my favorite fall thing to decorate with.

Willow said...

Our favorite scarecrow book is The Scarecrow and the Spider and the girls will love making these cookies to go with the story. I am also going to put your recommendations on hold at the library! Thanks!!