Sunday, April 5, 2009

Unplugged project: Words

I have been reading Unplug Your Kids and following the unplugged projects of other people for a few months now, but this is our first time participating. My sister, the amazing children's librarian, gave us the idea for this project.




C and I read Max's Words by Kate Banks. We both enjoyed this book. Max has two brothers; one brother collects stamps and the other collects coins. Max wanted to collect something too, and decided to collect words. He cut words out of magazines and newspapers. Max realizes that it doesn't matter how his brothers' collections are arranged, but words can be arranged to create stories. Even his brothers want to create stories with Max's words. The illustrations in this book are great. For example, the word "hungry" has a bite taken out of it! Max's Words is already a favorite in our house.



So, we had to cut out some words of our own. I did most of the cutting because C is four and doesn't quite understand where one word ends and the next begins. I did not know this until we started cutting out words. It actually surprised me because he is reading small words and Bob books and I just assumed that he understood the relationship of words to sentences. I did read words to him and let him tell me which words to cut.








Then we worked together to write a story. We talked about how words make up sentences and sentences make up stories.





C's story: The Superhero got ready for great battling. A perfect idea came to him. He was going to fight the alligator monster. A green car smashed into the monster and flattened him like a pizza. "Excellent job," said the hero and he went on a fun Disney vacation.



The ideas for this story all came from C. I simply helped him arrange the words to create a story. I wrote in some words when we didn't have it in our pile.




C then used his stencils to illustrate his story.









This is the final product. We will definitely try this again. C enjoyed using the cut out words to create a story.
We will definitely participate in the Unplugged Project again too!









7 comments:

Sherry Gann said...

FUN! :)

So Smrt said...

Really cool. We make up stories all the time, but I love the guided part of this.

momandkiddo said...

This is a great idea! I can't wait to try it.

LitLass said...

I'll be trying this too. Thanks!

Meg said...

I didn't know what to do for unplug this week either because my little guy is 2 only doesn't really get words.

You did a great job!

welcome to unplugged!

Michelle said...

Great idea!! I will have to remember this for when Emily is older.

Homeschool Friend said...

NEAT idea!

I love Max's Words! GREAT book...so educational and fun at the same time!