Thursday, September 24, 2009

Feeling Blue or Red or Green

Dr. Seuss is one of our favorite authors and we always enjoy reading My Many Colored Days. As a matter of fact, we have done this project before, but since we have been talking about feelings, I thought it would be appropriate to do it again.

How are you feeling today? A little blue? Yellow? I enjoyed talking to C and R about the way different colors can express moods and emotions. C remembered reading that Koko the gorilla used the color red to express anger. If you are not familiar with Koko, she is a gorilla that communicates with people through sign language.

After reading My Many Colored Days and discussing the colors/feelings connection, C and R painted their own colorful pages of emotion.

Look at C finger painting. This may be a first. I almost fell over when he told me he was going to finger paint.

R never hesitates when it comes to finger (or whole hand) painting. She has no problem getting messy.

R was feeling pretty cool; green, blue, and purple.

C was in a warm and fuzzy mood with lots of red, yellow, and orange.

This week, I am linking our book project to A Mommy's Adventures where Michelle hosts stArt. The idea is to combine a story with an art project. If you are interested in reading about stArt projects, visit A Mommy's Adventures.

15 comments:

Susana said...

We like this book too!

I love their fingerpaintings. I especially like the colors C used!! So glad he had such fun with it:-).

Cindy said...

We just read this again last night and I was thinking we need to do a project with it. We are on the same wave length.

Ticia said...

I haven't seen that book before, it looks fun.
We painted yesterday, and afterwards Princess was covered in paint up to her elbows. I kid you not.
And I love C's picture, congrats on the big step forward with finger painting. Kids are funny sometimes

momandkiddo said...

This is pretty much the only Seuss book I like. I always thought it might be good to do with art, but never got around to it. I love what your kids did with the paint.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we love that book too! :)

great paintings! :)

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

It's so great that C wanted to fingerpaint! We read this book a long time ago and I wasn't that impressed, it may have just been a little old for M at the time. I think I'll check it out again and see if he likes it more now. Thanks for reminding me about this book! I love all the feelings activities you've been doing!

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

I haven't read this book with Izzie, yet. But, I really like how you used the book to discuss feelings. The artwork looks wonderful!

April said...

Surprisingly I have never heard of this Seuss book, sounds fun though. Fingerpainting is always fun!

Christy Killoran said...

Izzie...: This is what I did:
We looked at the pages and discussed the animals and the emotions they seemed to be portraying. I would ask questions like, "What does yellow make you think of?" The answer was, "the sun". So, if you are feeling sunny, is that a happy feeling or a sad feeling? Sometimes I would just ask what kind of feeling it was.
It is all open to interpretation so there really doesn't have to be a right or wrong answer.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love the idea and the colors R and C chose. I will have to look this book up - it sounds great. And isn't it awesome that C gets more adventurous with paint - maybe it's somehow related to his school experiences and understanding that he is a big boy now?

Michelle said...

This is a great project!!! Thank you for linking up :0)

Debbie said...

We haven,t rad these books yet but I am wanting to. love the finger painting!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

C is finger painting??? Holy cow! What's gotten into him?

Love the paintings! That book inspired us to keep "color journals". So much fun! I think it's a great way to introduce kids to the concept of art as a way to express emotions.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

I thought I commented! I must have read on my mobile...
I love all these books your finding! WOW! And great crafts to go along!

I am SHOCKED that C FINGER PAINTED! HOLY COW! ;)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Me again... I've been meaning to leave you the link for our color journals. You can see them here:

What color was your day?

We saw the idea in a kids magazine, and have been keeping them ever since. It's great fun!