Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shrinky Dinks - Backpack Bling


Do you have memories of Shrinky Dinks from your childhood? I remember coloring Smurfs Shrinky Dinks at my kitchen table and then waiting for them to shrink in the oven. My husband actually mentioned Shrinky Dinks after I told him about the process to make the "stained glass" butterflies. I hadn't thought about them in years and I was excited to try them with C and R. I was really hoping to find some superhero Shrinky Dinks, but I had no luck. After searching a bit, I found a Shrinky Dinks activity kit made by Alex. C and R were both happy with the selection of shapes and creatures to color and shrink.


The directions recommend using a toaster oven (you can use a conventional oven though) and I found this so easy because there is no time waiting for the oven to preheat. It only took a few minutes for them to shrink and cool so there is no waiting there either.


R enjoyed watching them shrink, and she liked the final products but she was not interested in coloring the Shrinky Dinks. This did not surprise me at all. C enjoyed the whole process.


The kit we purchased came with key chains so we actually decorated C's new backpack with two of his Shrinky Dink creations.

All of a sudden, the child who has been telling me that he does not want to go to Kindergarten was jumping up and down asking me when he can go to school with his Shrinky Dinks. If I knew it was that easy, I would have done this long ago. I hope the joy lasts because we still have more than a week before school starts!

12 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

I love shrinky dinks! they are soo fun! we need to get out our shrinky dink kit and make some more!

Susana said...

I sure do remember these--loved them! So glad they are helping bring some excitement to C's upcoming big day too!!

Our Little Family said...

How fun!! I totally remember Shrinky Dinks but didn't think they made them anymore. Is it bad that I'M more excited to make them than having Maddie make them? Ha!

I'm glad it sparked excitement with going to school!!

Jenny said...

I remember these too! Especially the Smurf ones!

teachmama said...

Seriously, Christy, sometimes you and I are oddly on the same exact page!!

What a riot--we "blinged" up my daughter's backpack for school, too.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have never heard of them, but it's not surprising, since I didn't grow up here. I hope that C's excitement will last until his first day of school actually arrives.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

That's so funny that now he is super-excited to go to school!! What a fun project! This brought back lots of memories... :-)

Ticia said...

I need to get some of those. They would be wildly popular here.

Sherry said...

I remember these as a little girl! I can't wait to make these w/ Lu!

Melissa said...

I hadn't thought about shrinky dinks in years! Thanks for the reminder.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I remember these....Great post..Just blog hopping tonight and enjoyed your blog.
Hope you will stop by and visit my new Christmas blog. There is a great giveaway this week.
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

jennwa said...

I love shinky dinks. You make me want to run out right now and get some.