Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stories from Africa

We purchased a book about African animals from the dollar spot at Target. C and R both enjoy looking at and learning a little about the animals. When C asked if we could find Africa on a map, I was thrilled to oblige.

When there is any sign of interest in a subject, topic, place, etc. we head to the library. The librarian helped us find four books of African stories and folktales. Here is what we have been reading:

Wangari's Trees of Peace by Jeanette Winter is a true story about a woman who returned to her homeland of Africa after studying in the United States to find the land barren, and decided to plant trees and also encourage others to do so. I love this book but it is definitely better for children a little older. C was able to follow the story and understand what happened, but R lost interest quickly. She did like the illustrations.

Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock by Eric A. Kimmel is a West African tale that we have enjoyed reading several times this week. Anansi is a spider that happens upon a strange moss covered rock and discovers that it is a magic rock. Anansi uses this to trick the other animals in the forest and steal their food. One animal tries to teach Anansi a lesson, but I won't tell you what happens.

Zomo the Rabbit by Gerald McDermott tells the story of an irresponsible rabbit who asks the Sky God for wisdom. He is given three impossible tasks: he must get the scales of Big Fish, the milk of Wild Cow, and the tooth of Leopard. The wisdom imparted upon him in the end is priceless!
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema is a Caldecott Medal winner, and it was our favorite African story. It is an African folktale about a mosquito who tells a lie that sets off a series of events. The events affect everyone in the forest and also cause great distress. This book is an excellent way to teach children about the consequences of telling lies. The book ends with a reason for why mosquitoes buzz in people's ears and why we shoo them away. I enjoyed this book myself.

11 comments:

Susana said...

I have never heard/read any of these with my kids. They sound interesting and good too. It would be fun to read books about Africa too. Thanks for sharing these--I am supposed to do a huge request from the library today online and will add these!

Amanda said...

Another good book in Africa (albeit North Africa) is The Butter Man by Elizabeth Alalou and Julie Klear Essakalli. It takes place in Morocco and is a bit long for younger children but my 5 and 2 year old sit through it no problem. We do a lot of learning about Morocco because that's where my kids dad is from and where their aunties/uncles/grandma live. I'll post some more if I can dig them out!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we read a cute story about africa

handa's surprise and handas hen

printables for handa's surprise: http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/story/handa.html

here is some neat printables: http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/topic/places/africa.html

Michelle said...

I will have to put these on my library list! You always have such great book suggestions.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I agree - you have great book suggestions. I was thinking of making an introduction to geography month this year and read books about different continents. Your suggestions will fit nicely. By the way, the story of Anansi reminded me of a song by Raffi that we were listening to the car yesterday. Now I understand the song better :)

Mandy said...

And we just watched "Elephant's Tale" which was set in Africa. Your kids might like that!

Denise said...

We're going to study the continents sometime in the next six months. I'll b sure to check these out when we study Africa. Thanks!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Oh, Emily really enjoyed Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears! She is still talking about it and we read it a long time ago! Great list!! Your kids are so lucky!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Thank you so much for my BEAUTIFUL African goodies. I squealled like a little girl this week when I got them in the mail. Thank you so much. You are better at buying me gifts I like than my own family members!! (shhh...don't tell them) ; )
Fondly,
MaryLea
(pink and green mama)

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

Boy you are really getting them excited about geography! GOOD FOR YOU! How awesome for them too! :)

MaryAnne said...

Thanks for these reviews! I remember reading the mosquito story as a child, and enjoying it.