Tuesday, October 8, 2013

If You Give a Cat a Cupcake

We finished our letter Cc activities with a focus on one of Kate's favorite books, If You Give a Cat a Cupcake.

She loves all of the If You Give books, and we read them daily.

I printed up a cute cat and cupcake activity from spelloutloud.com.  Kate loved the cat, but was only moderately interested in feeding the cat the cupcakes and had no interest in matching or counting cupcakes.  We'll try again in a few months.



I also mixed up a batch of cloud dough.  The recipe I used is 4 cups all purpose flour mixed with 1/2 cup of baby oil.  Kate and I both enjoyed playing with this dough!  We played outside because it is VERY messy!  It's interesting because it has a really silky texture, and it smells nice (although after an hour of play, the smell started to bother me but I have a very sensitive sense of smell!); it also holds a shape, but crumbles easily.

We used the cloud dough to make "cupcakes".  You can see how messy it is, but I will make it again; Kate loved it!


You can also see how the dough holds a shape.  You have to really squish it together for it to stay together though, and it is fragile.

I found Kate smelling it several times.  She really enjoyed the whole sensory experience.

Of course I made real cupcakes too!

I made vanilla cupcakes with this recipe:
CLASSIC VANILLA CUPCAKES
Printed from COOKS.COM
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup cold milk
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Bake Time: 18-24 minutes.
Yield: 12 cupcakes.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each
addition. Stir in vanilla.
In a separate bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture;
stir in milk.
Bake 18-24 minutes

We frosted the cupcakes with real strawberry frosting, and added some sprinkles to make the cupcakes look like the cupcakes in the book.
Here is the frosting recipe:
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup fresh strawberries
1 cup butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted,
divided
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place strawberries in a blender; puree until smooth.
2.Transfer strawberry puree to a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring often, until puree is reduced by at least half, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
3.Beat butter with an electric mixer in a bowl until light and fluffy.
4.Beat 1 cup confectioners' sugar into butter until just blended.
5.Beat 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and vanilla extract into butter mixture until just blended.
6.Repeat with 1 cup confectioners' sugar, followed by 2 tablespoons strawberry puree two more times.
7.Beat last 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar into mixture until just blended.

 I tried to let Kate frost a few of the cupcakes, but the frosting went directly to her mouth instead of on the cupcakes.  I even showed her how to put it on the cupcake -- nope, right in the mouth.

She liked putting sprinkles on though.  I love that her fingers were just covered with the sprinkles!

This page from the book is great; it reminds me of my kids!
Do you know how hard it is to vacuum up those little sprinkles?  They just bounce around instead of getting sucked up by the vacuum.  Ha ha ha, they taunt me!

Kate ate a bite or two of the cupcake, but she licked off all of the frosting and asked for more.

Collin only liked the frosting.

Reagan ate a mostly plain cupcake with a tiny bit of frosting just to taste it.
We saved a few for Tyler too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun!! Those cupcakes made my mouth water!!

Sherri said...

YOUR AMAZING!!!
There is so much learning going on!
I have to admit, I feel like we are just playing...I'm not sure there's much learning!? But we are learning to recongnize letters! I love cupcakes....and I love love love all your C's. I'm excited to try the cloud mixture...too fun!

MaryAnne said...

Reagan cracks me up with her dislike of sugar. So healthy!

Cloud dough is awesome, but SO messy!

Susana said...

I can't wait to make the cloud dough this week. I hope it works well here.

I wish I shared Reagan's dislike of sugar. My world would be much easier! I'll rationalize it and think that if it wasn't sugar it would be something else.

That little pink cat Kate adores is precious. I hope you're able to find another one soon.

I love Kate's little fingers all covered with the sprinkles. I'm with you, I cannot stand trying to clean those things off of the floor. They mock you by showing up for like three months after you've used them!

Your C week was lots of fun!