Monday, January 25, 2010

The Gingerbread Cowboy


The Gingerbread Cowboy by Janet Squires is a wild western version of the classic tale.  A rancher's wife is tired of baking biscuits and decides to make a gingerbread cowboy instead.  When the rancher peeks in the oven, the gingerbread cowboy takes off running.  Instead of the usual cast of characters, he encounters a horned lizard, a roadrunner, a band of javelinas (not sure what these are??, I have to google them), long-horned cattle, and a coyote.  The book is a fun read.  I love all the different versions of The Gingerbread Man.

I thought about making cowboys out of real gingerbread, but we opted for the paper version instead.  I drew the outline of the gingerbread cowboys, and C and R filled in the details.

Here is C's gingerbread cowboy.  He didn't want to cut it out because he drew some details around the cowboy.  His details are all things that the rancher's wife used to make the cowboy.


R wanted her gingerbread cowboy cut out, and here it is:

We made some silly cowboy hats too!  The hats are just card stock cut in the shape of a cowboy hat with a paper bag band stapled around the back.

These silly hats made us laugh for quite a while!  Some cowboy fun is a great way to begin learning about the state of Texas.

7 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have never heard of Gingerbread Cowboy, but your Texas hats look like fun. Both cowboys are pretty engaging too, and I am impressed with your drawing skills :)

Karen Wilson said...

Javelinas are kind of like pigs. I only know this because there is a children's book called "The Three Little Javelinas."

Gidget Girl Reading said...

cute! i've never seen that book I'll have to see if our library has it!

they did a great job on the hats and cowboys/girls!

Sherri said...

I love that idea! that book looks like it will be a hit at our house as well!

Ticia said...

I was about to say what javelinas are but I see someone else already did.
I think our library did a puppet show of this one time. And to go with it they did a tortilla that didn't want to be eaten and ran away as well.

Susana said...

I've never seen this book, but it looks SO good!! So funny!

I would have chosen paper over gingerbread too:-).

Their cowboys are adorable, and so are hats.

Cute pictures too.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I had never heard of javelinas either. Sounds like a great book, and I love the cowboy hats and gingerbread cowboys they made to go along with the story. They turned out great!!