Saturday, January 30, 2010

Punxsutawney Phil Comes to Breakfast

Tuesday, February 2, is Groundhog Day.  Last year, I saw these groundhog day pancakes at Gourmet Mom on the Go and bookmarked them with the intention of making them this year.  Well, believe it or not, I remembered and actually made them this year.  I think they came out great.  This is how you make them:

First, cut an apple in half and take out the core and seeds.  Then fill the hole with a scoop of peanut butter.  The peanut butter is not necessary, but it adds some protein and tastes yummy.
Then, place each half of the apple cut side down on a plate.  This will provide the base for two groundhog day pancakes. 

Next, make some pancakes (any recipe will do) and cut a small circle in the center of your pancakes.  Lay the pancake on top of the apple and place a doughnut hole ("munchkin" in this neck of the woods) on top of the opening.
The munchkin is the groundhog's head.  Cut a mini marshmallow in half and use some icing to stick both halves on as the whites of the eyes.  Then use more icing to stick some m&m's on for the eye color.  Stick a red m&m on for the nose, and two peanut butter chips for ears.
We used some green icing to look like grass and pink icing for some spring flowers. 

Now, let's just hope that Phil does not see his shadow.  We are ready for some spring weather here in the northeast.

Have a happy Groundhog Day!

10 comments:

Susana said...

Christy, these are over the top cute!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!! You did a super job!!

Hope you get your Spring weather sooner than later:-).

danita said...

thanks for posting! i was looking for some groundhog related food!

Bobbi & Noe said...

I am so glad you tried these. I saw them and was a little apprehensive if I could do them because she is such a super chef. Thank you! They turned out cute!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

They are so cute! I saw those on Gourmet Mom on the Go, but had forgotten about them. Looks like the kids LOVED this!! Thanks for the reminder!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

those are soo cute!!! my girls would love them!!!! we might have to make some!!!

Sherri said...

I love this! I am going to make these for my kids! Thanks you!

Sherry Gann said...

If I made this G would probably refuse to eat it and want to put it on a shelf because it's so cute--seriously. :)

Ticia said...

Oh my goodness did those turn out cute.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow - this is awesome. Not that I would try it out, but awesome :)

Teaching Heart Mom said...

Love this idea... Will try in a few days.