Saturday, June 5, 2010

Favorite Books of the Week

We read so many books each week that I have a hard time just posting a few, but for the sake of time and holding your interest, I am going to limit this post to five books (well, six, if you count the book I mention that we want to read soon). 

R loves ballet and all things related to ballet.  We read Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella by James Mayhew this week and R thought it was wonderful.  When Ella Bella loses one of her ballet slippers, her ballet instructor tells the class the tale of Cinderella as they listen to melodies from the ballet.  Ella finds herself transported into the story and even attends the royal ball.  We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our library request of Ella Bella Ballerina and The Sleeping Beauty!  I request every ballet book I can find, so let me know if you have a favorite - maybe we haven't read it yet!


Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse by Rebecca Janni is an adorable book that R picked out at the library recently.  It, unknowingly, came at an appropriate time too.   Looking at the cover, I assumed it was just a cute cowgirl story.  Nellie Sue loves to pretend that she is a cowgirl, and the only thing she wants for her birthday is a horse!  When her parents give her a new bike instead, Nellie Sue manages to use her imagination to "gallop" along on her "Beauty".  R recently got a new bike, and this book helped to teach a great lesson:  when a cowgirl falls off her horse, she "always gets back in the saddle".

Always In Trouble by Corinne Demas has made us laugh a lot this week.  Emma's dog, Toby, is up to no good every day of the week and something has to be done.  We had fun working on the days of the week with this book.

Round is a Pancake by Joan Sullivan Baranski has very simple rhyming text that is enjoyable to read, but we LOVED the illustrations.  The townspeople are preparing a feast for the King and there are many round objects to be found.  This book was featured in my book project/stArt post; click here to read that post.

C's favorite book of the week is one that he brought home from his school library. The Bake Shop Ghost by Jacqueline K. Ogburn is about a baker who bakes the most wonderful sweets, and after she passes away, she haunts her old bakery.  Bakers try and try to reopen the bakery, but they are all frightened away.  Annie Washington, however, is not afraid of a ghost and she has the secret recipe that warms the heart of that ghost!  We really enjoyed this book.  There is a cake recipe at the end that we are hoping to try soon!

I love reading with my children, and I love finding new books.  If you feel the same way, head on over to Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns and find out what other people are reading with their children.  Every week, I visit all of the blogs that link up there and look for books to add to my library request list!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is so funny that you mentioned Ella Ballerina! One of Nani's favorite books now is Ella Ballerina and The Sleeping Beauty!

The other books look very cute too! I'll definitely be putting them on our library list!

Ticia said...

I know what you mean about the library request books.

I'm assuming you already know about Angelina Ballerina...... What others can I think of? There's an early reader about not wearing pink, but I can't remember what it was about.

Debbie said...

All these books sound great! I know Selena would love the first three for sure.

Thank you for linking up this week!

momandkiddo said...

There is a short film of The Bake Shop Ghost, if you are able to find a copy. Probably it is online somewhere.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We love books with recipes at the back! But, the dog book looks pretty cute, too. Sigh...more to add to my list :)

Goose and Bug said...

This isn't a ballet book, but my children's favorite library book is one called Glad Monster, Sad Monster. We have already had to renew it once and they want to order it again!
It has masks that your kids put on and they tell you what makes them happy, sad, scared, mad, etc... It was always fun to hear their answers!

Love the blog! I order almost all the books you talk about on here from our library!

James Mayhew said...

Gosh! thanks for the kind words about Ella Bella - I found them on just the right day when I was feeling a bit disillusioned! Know I am ready to pick up my pen again!

JM
http://jamesmayhewpresentsellabellaballerina.blogspot.com/

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have to get Ella Ballerina and Cowgirl books - they both sound great. I doubt that Ghost story would fly here - she still finds ghosts very scary.