Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Silly Bands Storytelling

Are your children quite literally up to their elbows in Silly Bands?  C and R have a bunch; I think they multiply while we are sleeping.  Anyway, C began using them for storytelling this week.  It was one of those proud mommy moments because it was all his idea and all I did was watch.  I thought I would share what he did so that you can try this with your kids.

He was inspired by the cowboy shaped bracelets from his collection.  He began by sorting them.


Then he drew a few pictures and added the bracelets to the completed drawings.





At this point, he invited me to listen to his story.  Here it is:

     First, the four cowboys got dressed.  Then they rode around on their horses.  They found a bull and they ran away.  Then they saw a bull fight.  The strongest bull won.  He got a trophy.


If your child is not inspired to create his or her own story revolving around Silly Bands, sit down with your child and a few of the bracelets and begin telling the story yourself.  Then encourage him to add something to the story, or even draw a picture to illustrate the story.

*I know that the brand name is actually "Silly Bandz".  As a former English teacher, it really bugs me when companies purposely spell words incorrectly.  

9 comments:

Karen Wilson said...

Cute idea!

One of the parents at school was telling me that their puppy ate 20 Silly Bandz. Any kind of rubber band like that is dangerous because they can get trapped in their intestines. They had to give her hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit them up. Gross!

Michelle said...

What a great idea! Emily has a few that her older cousin gave to her, but she doesn't like to wear them. This would be a great way for her to use them :0)

Ticia said...

AMEN to the spelling incorrectly. I have the same problem in sermons or other things when they capitalize everything......

I nearly had to take a silly band away from a kid at VBS today because he kept playing with it.

Maybe I'll break down and get some for my kids.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

This is a great idea!! C did a fantastic job with his story -- how creative!

teachmama said...

Love it! Yes, we're up to our eyeballs in silly bands! Yes, we've used them for stories (C did a gret job!), we wash them, we wear them and trade them! And NO I cannot and will not spell them with a 'Z' either!

hugs!
amy

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love the story C made, but I have never heard of Silly Bands until this post. I am pretty sure that one day they will cross our path too.

Home-Mom said...

I work in our kids dept at my church and noticed kids playing with these squiggly bracelets (such a distraction). called logo bands too, idk cute idea making storied with them
new follwer ;)

Counting Coconuts said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my "Storytelling" post and for sharing this post of yours with me. :) So wonderful that your son came up with this idea all on his own - you're right, that is a proud mommy moment!
I just learned about Silly Bands (totally agree about the annoying 'z' in the marketed name) last week when we were in the US. I stared at them for a bit thinking there must be SOMETHING I could use these for, but I was at a loss. Thanks to your son I now know! I'll be sure to pick up a few next time we travel.

Warmly,
Mari-Ann
Counting Coconuts

Jen said...

Yeah- he was creative with his silly bands, too. I love the picture and his imaginative play (story). Thanks for sharing this link. I'll add it to my original post.

Jen
Creative and Curious Kids!