Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jello Stickers for Valentine's Day

I remember reading about Jello stickers quite a while ago.  I bookmarked the idea and forgot about it until I saw Jello stickers made over at Almost Unschoolers around Christmas time.  Again, I made a note to try it and this time I remembered.

These Valentine stickers would make a great addition to homemade Valentines, and they smell really good too!


First, I googled printable Valentine stickers and printed up a few sheets on regular copy paper.  You don't even have to print stickers though.  You can use drawings made by your children or cut pictures out of coloring books or magazines.


Then, I made the Jello paint/glue with a recipe from Free Craft Unlimited.  We used cherry Jello, but any flavor will do.  I mixed 1 TBSP of jello powder with 2 TBSP of boiling water.  Then I put the paint into two cups for C and R.


They painted the back of their stickers with the Jello paint/glue.  They also dipped their fingers into the paint quite a bit for taste testing.  Their fingers were red, but other than that, there was no mess.  I made real Jello with the remaining Jello powder and we waited for the Jello paint to dry.


Once the paper was completely dry, we (mostly I) cut out all of the stickers.  Then C and R thoroughly enjoyed licking their new stickers and arranging them on paper.



I was really surprised that they stuck as well as they did!  We are already planning on doing this again with shamrock stickers and Lime Jello!


I definitely recommend this activity; it's easy, fun, and a great sensory activity!  What a great activity for exploring the senses - you can see it, smell it, taste it, and touch it.  If only it made noise, hmmmm... you can swish it around in the cup and listen to it.

It's a good thing Natalie commented about this being science because my scatterbrain forgot to link to Science Sunday until she mentioned it!  Head on over there for cool science experiments for children!

15 comments:

Jenny said...

Cute idea! I've never heard of using Jell-O to make stickers.

Lynn said...

How fun! I'd never heard of it either. And my son isn't allergic. ;)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Yes! Shamrock stickers with lime Jell-O is a fantastic idea!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Yum, that does look like fun!

Unknown said...

These have to tase better than the lick and stick stickers we use in Sunday school.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Makes a good science experiment too - I will bookmark this post as "science" :)

Unknown said...

Love this! My kids adore Jello and would go crazy for this.

Katie said...

Excellent idea =)

Susana said...

This is a really neat idea! I hope I'll remember it for St. Pat's day too. Thank you!

April said...

Great idea, I missed it on Almost Unschoolers but I am bookmarking itn ow.

Debbie said...

I have been meaning to try my hand at making some of these. Thanks for the reminder.

MaryAnne said...

What a cool idea! My kids will love this one - and it looks like something Mike would be happy to do with them, bonus!

Ticia said...

I've actually got a bunch of hearts and such printed out to do this exact same activity, but haven't done it yet.

Unknown said...

Sticky, sweet, jello-y awesomeness...

Darcey said...

These stickers are great! A good idea for Valentines too. I've linked up to your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/02/weekly-favorites-for-february-20-2011.html