Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Lion King


Last night, C, R, and I went to see The Lion King.  The show was amazing; I was so impressed.  I knew it was going to be good, but sometimes when a show is hyped SO MUCH, it ends up being a bit of a let-down, not this time.  It was fantastic.  Originally, I wanted to take C and R to a matinee performance, but I waited too long to buy tickets.  This show started around bedtime, and that was a bit tough, especially because it was over two hours long, but they both enjoyed the show.  C was like a cartoon character with toothpicks holding his eyes open!  R fell asleep about halfway through the second act.  They really loved the show though; they were very entertained.

Before we went to the show, C and R made lion masks.  Earlier in the day, I saw a simple lion mask posted at Giggles and Crayons and thought it would be a fun craft in anticipation of this fun night out. 


First, I cut out the middle of the paper plates.  Then I had C and R glue on yarn for the mane.  I only had brown yarn, but we made do with orange and yellow pipe cleaners.  We also used some raffia.  The pipe cleaners are pretty heavy, so I hot glued those on wherever they told me to put them.  Also, because the masks were a little heavy, I stapled paper towel holders (instead of the usual craft sticks) onto the masks for them to hold.  C and R were already excited about going to see the show, but the masks were great for keeping them occupied until it was to time to leave!



 The masks remind me of Scar from The Lion King. 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohh how fun! Glad they enjoyed you guys enjoyed the show and the masks were super cute!

Annette W. said...

Wasn't it awesome? It was my first and only broadway play...and I saw it with my college class on its third opening night, I think.

Lots of fun!!

Jennifer said...

Oh, I'm so jealous!!! Looks like they had a good time though! The Lion King is supposed to come through Denver sometime in the near future. I'm saving my pennies!!!

MaryAnne said...

I have heard great things about this show since I was in high school - hopefully we manage to see it some time!

The lion masks are great!

Ticia said...

That is so cool! I got to see Beauty and the Beast in my pre-kid days. And we saw it again at our local summer musical, but the kids haven't seen any traveling Broadway plays yet, nothing appropriate has gone through.

Five Seconds From Crazy said...

We saw it twice last year! That's how amazing it was...I had to go again to bring my mom.
I'm so glad that y'all enjoyed it so much!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Oh, I love the masks! How great that you could catch this show. We've seen it here before Anna was born, and it was awesome.

Brimful Curiosities said...

We haven't seen that one yet, but my daughter really loved seeing local productions of the musicals Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella. We hope to take her to a major production soon.

momandkiddo said...

I saw The Lion King many years ago in London, and I loved it. Except for the Elton John song, Can You Feel The Love Tonight. Ugh, if if one liked that song (which I DON'T) it seemed totally out of sync with Taymor's style. Just my two cents.

BTW, you should enter my Storied Cities Where's Walrus giveaway, your new little one would love it :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I wish I'd read this before we made our beards - yarn would have been even more fun! The show sounds like a great experience for C, and R, and their masks are fantastic :)

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Love The Lion King! It was here during the holidays, and I really wanted to take E, but I waited too long. By the time I looked, all the available seats were over $100! So glad you guys got to experience it together!

April said...

I have been wanting to see The Lion King for years.

And I love their lion faces behind the mask!

Thanks for the link :)

Jenny said...

LOL at their faces! You can tell they were having a blast!

Debbie said...

I love their lion masks. This sounds like a good show to go see, we watched the movie when Selena was really young and she loved it. I might just have to get the movie since she is begging for another movie and make some of these masks before we watch it. I would love to go see the musical though!

Sherri said...

I love that you expose your kids to theater....it is awesome! I need to do better in this area!
those masks are adorable!

Anonymous said...

I love their little lion faces! I bet this was a great play to go see.

Unknown said...

The masks are fantastic! I love their little faces.

Susana said...

Their faces with the masks are priceless! R is cracking me up:-).

I bet this show was amazing!! Glad you all enjoyed it so much too, even if R did fall asleep, and C was using "props".