Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shadow


Today we read Shadow by Suzy Lee.  This is a mostly wordless book about a girl playing in a dark attic.  Her imagination comes to life with the click of a lightbulb.  The black and yellow illustrations are brilliant and we just can't stop looking at this book.  Each time we pick it up, we find another detail. 

I could not resist doing some simple art with C and R after reading this book.  I began by googling blank paper doll template and printing up one that I found.  I don't know exactly where I got it, but they are easy to find.  I then traced the template onto manila construction paper and black construction paper and cut one of each out for C and R.


C and R colored the manila paper dolls to look like themselves.  Then they glued them onto the top half of a large piece of white construction paper and drew a background. 


Once they were happy with their drawings, they glued their shadows onto the bottom half of the construction paper and added other shadows with black crayon. 



I love the way they came out! 

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures and Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted Art.

14 comments:

MaryAnne said...

This book looks amazing, and love your craft - great idea!

Katie said...

These are super cute!

RedTedArt said...

Oh what a cute craft! I love it! Such a great way to learn all about shadows! Didn't they do well! Can't wait for my two to be a little older for this!

Thank you for linking up!

Maggy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cute book and I love the craft!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Those are great, and that book sounds fantastic!

Ticia said...

Those turned out so cute!

And she looks so serious in that first picture.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This craft came out fantastic! I can't imagine Anna voluntarily gluing a paper doll to a page - she would want to make her clothes, food and furniture and play with it :)

Jenny said...

Wordless books annoy me, but I love the art project you all made to go with the book!

Debbie said...

I have to see if I can get this book! Selena loves playing with light making shadows. I love their artwork as well, what a neat extension.

Anonymous said...

I love the way they turned out too. This looks like another interesting book.

Creatively Content said...

I love the shadow idea!! fun.

Susana said...

You are always finding the most unique books. I've gotten so many book titles from you over the last year and a half it's unreal!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

They did a great job with these!! I need to check out that book! :-)

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness what an adorable art project! I will have to see if I can find this book at our library. Thank you for linking up to stART :0)