Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Easter Garland


C and R made Easter garland yesterday.  It was so easy to make, and we are very happy with the new decoration.


First, I cut egg shapes out of cereal and cracker boxes.  Then I covered them in aluminum foil.


C and R could have done this, but I wanted to have the eggs ready for painting when C came home from school.

R used pink and purple acrylic paint, and C used green and blue acrylic paint; they painted over the foil however they wanted.


When they were done painting, they used cotton swabs to create designs in the paint and to let some of the shiny silver foil show through the paint.



Once the paint was completely dry, I used a hole punch to make holes in the top of the eggs.  We threaded the egg shapes with yarn.

Here are a couple of close ups of a few of the finished eggs:


In the past, we have also used toothpicks to scratch designs in the dry paint.  Both techniques are fun, and the results are great either way!

14 comments:

Amanda said...

Very cute! We did something similar last year.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Love how these turned out!

Sherri said...

Wow! You have the best Easter crafts!

phasejumper said...

Very cute! Fun take on Easter egg decorating!

MaryAnne said...

What a simple and fun idea!

Jade Clark said...

Great idea! And I LOVE your large American Flag up there on your mantle!!!!

Kylie said...

Very cute. Think I'll use that one myself :-)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What an awesome idea. This reminded me that I wanted to do some aluminum foil painting too with our windows markers. I think your garland looks very pretty.

Ticia said...

I totally need to do this. I'm adding it to my to do list for when we get back home.

Brimful Curiosities said...

My kids would love this one. Plus, we should really replace the Valentine's Garland that is still up with something different! :)

Susana said...

This turned out great! Love the colors and the shininess the foil gives too. We need some Easter decorations terribly around here:-)!

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

This is beautiful! I love seeing your kids actually doing all of the painting.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Love it! Great idea to use the Qtips too!

Kerri

Debbie said...

Your Easter garland looks so pretty. I love the affects you got with the Qtips.