Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Yarn Eggs

We tried to make yarn eggs last year and we did not succeed.  It has bothered me all year; I know that is weird, but it's the truth.  So, we tried again this week.  I think our problem last year was that we diluted the glue too much because the yarn didn't really stick together and we ended up with a big glob of sticky yarn. 

This is what we did this year.


I blew up balloons for C and R and gave them each about twenty-four twelve inch pieces of yarn.  Then I put quite a bit of Elmer's glue in a bowl and added about a tsp of water just to make it easier to use.


C and R dipped the yarn in the glue and then wrapped the pieces around the balloons, overlapping the pieces as they worked.  I have to be honest and tell you that R did a little more than half of the yarn wrapping before she asked me to help her, and C did even less.  I was okay with helping them finish this.  It's not really something you can go back to later, and we all wanted to complete the craft.


I hung the yarn covered balloons over our craft sink to dry overnight.


In the morning,  C and R popped the balloons and we carefully pulled them out of the dry yarn eggs.


Then we had to reshape the yarn a tiny bit to make nice egg shapes because some of the yarn pieces collapsed a bit after we popped the balloons.




We hung the yarn eggs in the window.  Success feels good.  I can rest easy now!  Plus, these look really pretty!

13 comments:

Amanda said...

Very cute! I remember making the string covered balloons when I was a little girl!

Ticia said...

They do! I"m trying to think how to make smaller ones, like actual egg size ones. I wonder if a water balloon would work.

Unknown said...

YAHOO!!!! Success is so sweet, especially when you have to try, try, again...

Annette W. said...

They turned out great! They are so big and fun!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I keep seeing those beautiful yarn crafts, but I am such a wimp when it comes to glue :) Yours turned out really pretty!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

They turned out beautifully -- congrats!!! I've never even attempted yarn eggs because they seem so intimidating to me. Thanks for the tip on not watering down the glue too much!!

Sherri said...

Those are too cute!

Anonymous said...

awww love these!! I will have to do this soon!

MaryAnne said...

Those turned out great! We'll have to try this craft, too!

Kelly said...

Fun and pretty! So glad these worked this year.
Little Wonders' Days

phasejumper said...

They look great! Second time is a charm!

Susana said...

I am glad they worked for you this time, and they look great!

I hope to make your bubble wrap eggs with Jack soon.

Elle Belles Bows said...

They turned out very well! This was a favorite of mine to do with my Mom. I cannot wait to dot his with E.

Kerri