Saturday, April 16, 2011

New Orleans Jazz

We are still studying the state of Louisiana, and our current focus is on jazz music.  I am trying to remember to play jazz music at least once a day and we are reading a few jazzy books!


What a Wonderful World by George David Weiss and Bob Thiele features the lyrics made famous by the great Louis Armstrong.  We have owned this book for a few years now because C and R both LOVE the song.  The lyrics really come to life through the bright, colorful illustrations by Ashley Bryan.

Jazz Cats by David Davis is a picture book that offers a musical tour of New Orleans with the accompaniment of a few cool jazz cats.  I love that the book mentions real places in New Orleans!

Jazz Baby by Lisa Wheeler and R. Gregory Christie features a singing, dancing family and a fun, jazzy rhyme that we really enjoy reading.  We like the jazzy lyrics, especially, "rat-tat-tat" and "doo-wop-doo"!

We also own This Jazz Man by Karen Ehrhardt.  In this counting book, nine great jazz musicians are featured with fun, scat-filled rhyming lyrics meant to be sang to the popular counting tune of "This Old Man".  This is a great read aloud!  At the end of the book, there is information about each of the musicians featured.

Check out What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns for more great books!
 

7 comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

"What a Wonderful World" is the last song my husband and I danced to at our wedding reception. I have yet to read the book!

momandkiddo said...

My two year old loves This Jazz Man! beBop Express is good. It's about a train that goes to lots of cities picking up musicians, and ends up in New Orleans.

Ticia said...

I love Jazz, and am totally remembering this for later.

Susan said...

What a great way to learn about jazz and Louisiana!
I need to find a copy of the book What a Wonderful World...I love that song, too!! I didn't realize there was a book.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Jazz is so much fun! I don't think I would have thought to look for picture books about it - fantastic selection!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I admit that my own knowledge of jazz is very limited, and perhaps I should look for some of your picks! Thanks for joining WMCIR!

Susana said...

I haven't ever heard of any of these books. Hey, if y'all are into Magic Tree House you could read the one about Louis Armstrong. Joe liked that one. I believe it is number 42, A Good Night for Ghosts.