Thursday, July 18, 2013

Facing Forward

Today is Kate's first day riding forward facing in a car seat.  She wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first, but after running a few errands, she already seems comfortable.

Tyler, Collin, and Reagan were all forward facing shortly after their first birthdays, but now the recommended age for forward facing is two.  Kate will be two in September, and I was going to wait until then, but I had the seat moved into Tom's car for our upcoming trip to NY and decided to turn her around.  I think she will be happier.

My pediatrician told me that some people wait until their child is four to turn the seat around.  I can't imagine doing that.  I know it's all in the name of safety, and I typically err on the side of caution, but I'm not waiting until age four!  I'm happy to have made it this long, and I don't know anyone else that has waited much longer than the first birthday!

I hope facing forward makes our long drive to upstate NY a little easier for Kate!

6 comments:

Sherri said...

Wow!! You did great at holding out! REx flipped at his first birthday..and he loved it...she will love it to...the whole world looks different!

Anonymous said...

o my goodness she looks so grown up in her seat!

Susana said...

I think you did great waiting this long! I did forward facing around 9 months with all of mine except Hanna. *Gasp* I know, shame on me. Her seat is adorable.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's funny how the guidance keeps changing on that. I am sure Kate will be more comfortable and happier in the car when she faces in the same direction as everyone else. Enjoy your trip!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

You think there wouldn't be any leg room left by the time a child was that old. Montana standards are very lax when it comes to car seats...most children are completely out of them here by the time four. We get funny looks for still having boosters.

Jenny said...

I'm glad you waited so long! It's so much safer. When Abby was little it was 1 year. I waited until about 18 months. I would have done longer, but the car seats at the time only went didn't have a high weight limit rear facing.

Also, Britax is a great seat! She will be safe forward facing in that seat.