Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sam Patch Packet Boat Ride on the Erie Canal


On Wednesday, we all went on the Sam Patch boat ride on the Erie Canal.  This is the first time the kids and I have done this, and it was very cool.



There were only two other people on the boat, so the guide spent some time talking to us.  We learned about Sam Patch (he's famous for jumping off of things including jumping into the Niagara River near the base of Niagara Falls).  I missed a lot of what the guide had to say because I was busy trying to entertain Kate - she was a bit cranky for the first part of the ride and wanted to grab the fire extinguisher.  My sister told me that while I was busy with Kate, the guide asked Collin where he thought the engine would be on the boat in 1825.  Collin quickly responded that there would not be an engine in 1825 - smart cookie! - not sure I would have picked up on that so quickly.

It was very interesting going through the lock.  I have read about how they work, but this was the first time I actually got to see it work in person.













4 comments:

Jenny said...

Collin is smart! I don't think I would have picked up on that either! LOL!

Anonymous said...

How awesome!! My parents road a boat through the erie canal and loved the experience! It looks like a lot of fun!

MaryAnne said...

Locks are cool! I remember going through them on the Seine river as a school trip when we lived in France.

Ticia said...

That would be so amazingly cool to go through!