Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Birds by Kevin Henkes


Kevin Henkes writes amazing books. We own so many of his books and never tire of reading them. Birds is no exception. The more we read it, the more I enjoy it.

There are so many opportunities for learning in this book. Birds come in many different colors and we named all of the colors in the book. Birds can be big or little and we compared all of the birds. Seven birds on a telephone wire were waiting to be counted. We pretended to fly and sing like birds. We also purchased a bird feeder that attaches to a window with suction cups and we have been observing the birds in our yard.

C and R's favorite page in the book has the reader imagine what the sky would look like if birds made marks with their tail feathers when they flew. This gave me an idea for an art project. C and R painted with feathers and made these beautiful works of art.

This book will be on our favorites shelf for a long time!

7 comments:

Homeschool Friend said...

Two of my favorite things...books and birds. I also love Kevin Henkes sweet little picture books! And I love art too!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

such pretty paintings! :) I can't wait to get that book now :)

Denise said...

We haven't seen that book yet. I'll request it from the library. It sounds like your art project is the perfect follow up to this book. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

Great art! We plan to do a week of birds. I'll look for that book! Thanks for linking:0)

Michelle said...

I love the feather painting idea! Thanks for linking up!!!!

The Activity Mom said...

Turned out great!

Ticia said...

I never remember until after the fact to try and paint with alternative things.