Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A cup of pasta


We measured out one cup of Barilla brand penne pasta and made one long straight (as straight as possible anyway) line. Can you guess how long that line was?
Our line of penne was fourteen feet long! Sorry about the picture quality.



Then we measured one cup of store brand rigatoni pasta. C immediately noticed that we could not fit as many pieces of pasta in the measuring cup. We talked about whether our line would be shorter or longer. Any guesses? 40 inches long - the same length as C.
C and R had a lot of fun measuring the pasta. They were both surprised by the results of our measurement experiment.

3 comments:

Ticia said...

What a great mini-science experiment. I need to start incorporating actual experiments now, I think they'd enjoy it.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

what a great day we might have to do that once my oldest gets out of school! I was planning a pasta day! thanks for the idea I'll be linking to you :)

Annette W. said...

I guess I've just been stalking you...but finally became a follower! So what will you buy in the future?