Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Candy Cane Suncatchers


These suncatchers are so easy to make and they look pretty in the window next to our Christmas tree suncatchers.

To make these, you need clear contact paper, red tissue paper, and white tissue paper.  If you don't have tissue paper, leftover crepe streamers from a birthday party work well too!


First, I drew candy cane shapes on the paper backing side of the clear contact paper.  Then I cut them out.


I peeled the sticky backing off and gave them to C and R with some red and white tissue paper.  They added the tissue paper in alternating red and white stripes.

Next, I put another piece of clear contact paper over the tissue paper to sandwich the tissue paper between the contact paper and trimmed around the edges.  I used double sided tape to stick the candy cane suncatchers on the window.

They look pretty when the sun shines through!

I requested this book, The Legend of the Candy Cane by Lori Walburg, from the library, but it has not come in yet.  From what I have read, the book has received mostly positive reviews.  The book is about a young girl who stumbles upon a candy shop being built.  The owner tells her about the origins of the candy cane - it is in the shape of a j--for Jesus, right side up it looks like a shepherd's staff, and the red stripes represent the blood of Christ.  I will let you know what we think of it when we read it.  Have your read it? 

On another note, out of curiosity, I read about the origins of the candy cane at Snopes.com.  You can click on that link to read what they have to say about the origins.  Whatever the origins are, it is always nice to look at a candy cane and see the "J" for Jesus.

9 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We're doing the candy cane legend today, too :)

Jennifer said...

What a great idea!

We just cleaned our patio door windows from the window markers they girls used to draw on them. This would be a good replacement activity! Thanks!

Debbie said...

I see so many things done with clear contact paper. I have debated trying some, but I have a little girl here who probably wouldn't leave the projects together. She is such so obsessed with anything sticky.

Love the candy canes!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Those sun catchers are very pretty! We did ours with Christmas Star and David's Star, and Anna enjoyed the project a lot more than I thought she would.

Ticia said...

Oh, so going to do this when we read that book.

Interestingly enough you have a different book for that legend than I do.

Rebecca said...

Im planning on buying peppermint extract this week so we can paint candy canes with the extract mixed in the paint :) Candy canes are fun. Maybe ill look for this book!

MaryAnne said...

These are pretty!

Jenny said...

Those are pretty! I wanted to find that book also, but it's not available at my library.

While I know it's not true, I like the symbolism behind the candy cane story. It can just be a fun legend.

Sherri said...

You guys are having way too much fun over there...I can feel the Christmas spirit through the computer!