Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Polish Christmas Carol and Stained Glass Stars


Din Dan Don It's Christmas features the lyrics of a Polish Christmas carol and the stained glass style artwork of Janina Domanska.  It is a very pretty book featuring beautifully painted pictures of the procession of animals and birds with their musical instruments winding their way to the stable in Bethlehem to greet the infant Jesus.

I could not resist the opportunity to melt more crayon shavings for a "stained glass" craft to go along with this book.  C, R, and I got to work creating crayon shavings by sharpening crayons with a crayon sharpener.  I personally have little patience for this, so halfway through I used my box grater (it cleans up just fine!) to get the job done quickly.

Once we had enough crayon shavings for two stars, we placed them between two pieces of wax paper and then I placed the wax paper crayon shavings sandwiches between two towels and ran a warm iron over the top.

Next, I cut the star shape out of the middle of a piece of black construction paper.  I found the star shape that I used at dltk and you can click here to go to that page.   I just taped the star shape onto the black construction paper and then cut it out.  Then, we taped the wax paper crayon melt to the back.  Make sure your star shape is smaller than your crayon melt so that the melt fills the entire "stained glass window".



They look SO pretty in the window.  I love the stained glass effect.

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.

9 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Thanks for the link to the star template. Those turned out beautifully!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL! They really did turn out just amazing. You are finging such interesting Christmas books.

MaryAnne said...

So pretty! I need to get wax paper - I have an entire list of crafts to try using it!

Ticia said...

love it, they turned out so good!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It looks gorgeous! I love how the melt looks against black background. I am thinking of making a card like this too.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Very pretty! It's so hard to take good pictures of light catchers. Yours look lovely.

Debbie said...

Those are so beautiful. I am with you I love the stained glass effect.

Unknown said...

I love the stars. What a pretty work of art!

Jenny said...

I love it, too. So pretty.