Monday, December 13, 2010

Cranberry Christmas


We enjoyed Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende and Harry Devlin so much that we had to read Cranberry Christmas by the same authors.  In this book, Christmas is approaching and Mr. Whiskers' frozen pond should be busy with children skating.  Unfortunately, Mr. Whiskers cannot locate the deed to the pond and crabby Cyrus Grape has spoiled all the fun by claiming the pond as his own and not allowing anyone else near it.  You will have to read the book to find out what happens, but if you can't find the book, you can watch a cartoon movie based on this book online at the abc family website.  The movie is narrated by Barry Manilow and he also sings a couple of songs in the movie!!!! 


As in Cranberry Thanksgiving, a cranberry recipe is included in this book too.  The recipe is for Maggie's Favorite Cranberry Cookie.  If you google "Maggie's Favorite Cranberry Cookie" you will find the recipe posted in quite a few places.  The cookies remind me of little cranberry walnut scones and taste great with a cup of tea.  If you are coming to my house for Christmas, you will be able to try them for yourself because the recipe made eight dozen cookies!!!!  I'm going to jazz them up a bit for Christmas though by drizzling a little melted chocolate over the top.  Yum!

10 comments:

momandkiddo said...

I have a package of cranberries in my freezer. I think I might have to try something like this!

Jennifer said...

Looks like a cute book -- and the cookies look so yummy!!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'm glad you mentioned the eight dozen - I think I'll halve the recipe when we make it :)

Ticia said...

I've heard so many great things about this book. I really need to hunt it down.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Can I come over for Christmas? Recipe sounds like fun. On the other hand, we have more cookies now than we know what to do with, since we went to a cookie decorating party yesterday :)

MaryAnne said...

Drizzled chocolate on top will be the perfect touch!

Miller Moments said...

Mmm, those cookies look yummmy! And the book sounds fun too.

Sherri said...

I have not read either one...but plan too!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Holy Smokes, that's a lot of cookies! I bet they freeze well. :) Cranberry Thanksgiving is a favorite of ours, but I haven't tracked this one down yet. Thanks for the link!

Elysa said...

Found your blog when I googled for CRANBERRY CHRISTMAS. As a homeschooling mom who loves books and uses the FIVE IN A ROW curriculum (which uses CRANBERRY THANKSGIVING) I am loving browsing your blog.