Monday, December 6, 2010

My Gingerbread Children

A few weeks ago, Leah from Almost Unschoolers posted some cute craft foam snowman photo ornaments that she made.  I love the snowmen, but I was particularly interested in the photo of the gingerbread photo ornaments she mentioned making a few years ago.  I knew we had an upcoming week of gingerbread fun and I thought I might have to make gingerbread photo ornaments myself.  I looked for a post on her blog, but I think she made them before she began blogging, so I didn't see any directions. I guess I could have asked her, but they seemed simple enough to make without directions.  And yet, I am posting directions now. 

Well, then I forgot about them until I was in the craft store and saw a kit to make your own gingerbread men photo ornaments.  The kit made 35 ornaments (I only wanted 4) and it was expensive ($15!), so I bought some materials (about $2) and decided to make my own.  This is how I did it:

Materials:
  • one large sheet of brown craft foam
  • one gingerbread man cookie cutter
  • one sticky back white sheet of craft foam
  • gumdrop stickers (these were left over from our paper bag gingerbread houses; they aren't necessary)
  • photos (I used wallet size school photos for the kids and printed a small picture of Kelly (our dog))
Directions:

First, I traced around the gingerbread man cookie cutter using a white pencil on the brown craft foam.  I traced it four times and cut them out.


Then, I cut out some squiggly white sticky back pieces to look like icing.  Believe it or not, I could not freehand it to look right, so I drew some squiggly lines on the paper backing and cut them out.  I stuck the lines on to make two gingerbread girls (the line along the bottom makes it look like a dress) and two gingerbread boys.


I stuck the gumdrop stickers on to look like buttons.  You could use the white sticky craft foam to make buttons or you could use a different color. 

Finally, I cut out pictures of my three children and my dog.  I used the wallet size school pictures and tried to cut as close to their faces as possible so that the background would not show.  I used regular Elmer's glue to stick the pictures on.

The last step is to poke some ornament hooks through the top of them and hang them on the tree!

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

So cute! I was going to do an activity this week similiar to that with just using all our Christmas cookie cutters, but I may do this one for my daughter's birthday party this weekend! Thanks for the tip!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Yours are adorable!

It looks pretty similar to how I did it too, except I glued a plain gingerbread man on the back of each one, so the picture is sandwiched in, and since I didn't have sticky backed foam, I glued the pieces. Oh, and I cut the same size face circles in each one, for uniformity, and then printed out photos to capture the right size faces (that part was a little hard).

I think they are my favorite ornaments on the tree! Thanks for the link :)

Annette W. said...

Awe!!! Love it! I doubt we have brown craft foam...but we have brown paper and a laminator!

Amy said...

Those look so cute! I love the homemade ornaments, especially pulling them out years later and remembering our kids at that age!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Those ornaments are great. This reminded me that I still wanted to make an ornament with Anna's photo with it.

Ticia said...

Hers intrigued me too. Sadly our gingerbread cookie cutter is not that big.

Debbie said...

These are so cute! I love Leah's blog and always get so inspired by all the things she does. Now next year you can make the snowmen ones.

MaryAnne said...

Such fun decorations!

Anonymous said...

Those are very cute Christy! Thanks for the tutorial too. We may do those when we do our gingerbread things.

Tonya Hache said...

That is SO cute! I am thinking my daughter could put magnets on the back of these and give them as gifts to the grandparents! Awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

<3 Rockabye Butterfly

http://rockabyebutterfly.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

Those are adorable!

Sherri said...

These are awesome!
I can't believe how much I missed...my computer crashed! =(