Monday, December 7, 2009

The Roof Collapsed!

It has become a tradition for us to purchase a gingerbread house kit and assemble it together before Christmas. We usually do this the weekend after Thanksgiving, but we moved this year so it happened this past weekend.

We followed the directions exactly to assemble the house. In the past, we have always let the house dry overnight before decorating. This year, we only waited about an hour. Let it be known, however, that the recommended wait time was only fifteen minutes!

Everyone was having fun. The decorating was going well, and then.....

We tried and tried to fix it, but it would not cooperate. I let the kids eat some of the candy and we put the rest in a container for another day. At least we had fun decorating!

These little cookies came with the kit. They tasted horrible, but they were fun to decorate.

Next year we will let the house dry overnight. I'm happy that no one got upset about the collapse of the gingerbread house.

10 comments:

danita said...

a friend of mine uses hot glue! i'm going to give it a try today when we do ours. maybe you can save yours if you try it!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww that stinks must have been to candy heavy :)

atleast they got to eat some :)

Susana said...

That's too bad! I'm glad they didn't get upset too.

Better luck next year, right:-)?

You got some cute pictures of the decorating.

Angela said...

I thought of getting a ginger bread house. But I think ours would fall in too. HAHA!

Ticia said...

Uh oh. At least you can eat it now.

Mama King said...

We had the same problem with our kit. It looks like the same kit. I had to hold it forever and then reinforce with lots of frosting. Luckily it held otherwise I would have hot glued that sucker! :-)

Our Little Family said...

So sorry about the roof! But, I have to say that when I saw the title of your post in my Google Reader, I thought that the roof of your REAL house had collapsed! So, hearing it was the gingerbread house was a big relief for you all. Ha!

The kids look super happy and content, even if it didn't turn out as planned! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am hoping that the collapse of the gingerbread house is not a prediction of upcoming unexpected real home repairs. At least everyone still had fun. And I am kind of jealous of your snow. We had some in the hills around the valley, but, of course, nothing here.

Lynn said...

You got me with your title, too! I didn't wait either - my directions said OVERNIGHT. No way could I wait that long. Are you sure nobody made it collapse? I mean, you HAVE to eat the broken bits, right? :)

Jenny said...

So cute! My husband and daughter make one every year, but I don't think they've ever waited any amount of time before decorating! Yikes!