Monday, January 17, 2011

Ballerina Math


Miss Lina's Ballerinas by Grace Maccarone is about eight little girls who study dance with Miss Lina.  Christina, Edwina, Sabrina, Justina, Katrina, Bettina, Marina, and Nina dance around town in four rows of two.  When a new girl, Regina, joins the group, the original eight girls are a little unsure about how they will work together.  In the end, they realize that nine girls can dance in three groups of three.  This is a sweet book about teamwork, friendship, and ballet!

I decided to use the opportunity to introduce R to more number fun with grouping.  She has been counting by twos for a week or so now, and I thought she could have some fun putting ballerinas in groups.  First, I printed nine ballerinas for her to color.  I found the ballerina coloring page at the Sherri Allen website.  C helped her with some of the coloring.


I cut out all of the ballerinas and challenged R to put the first eight into equal groups.  She was a little silly at first, but eventually she put them in two rows of four and four rows of two.


When I added the ninth ballerina, she did not know what to do, but C reminded her that the ballerinas danced in three rows of three.


C was very helpful throughout all of this.  He loves to be the teacher.

When all was said and done, I taped popsicle sticks to the backs of the ballerinas and R took off to put on a ballet.

I am linking this to Math Links.  Click on the link for more fun math ideas.

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOVE this!!! D has been learning to count by twos also, so this is a great learning activity! I have this book on hold at our library and will definitely be doing this activity once we get it! Thanks - as always - for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a great "introduction" into the world of multiplication! And doing it with dance? Well, that makes a girl want to do an arabesque!

Debbie said...

This book sounds so cute, I have to see if our library has it. I love your extension with the little ballerinas. Selena would love to join right in there with that activity!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Love how C likes to participate in teaching R and that you saw R's love of ballet as an opportunity for learning math!! Very cool!!!!! :-)

Jenny said...

Great idea! Abby would like this too!

Ticia said...

Oh my does that story sound cute! I wonder if my Princess would like it...... She's so hit and miss on girly stories.

MaryAnne said...

I love when my kids teach each other! And maybe ballerinas are the way to get Emma excited about math...

Phyllis said...

Nice lesson.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Way to go C! I love it when they help each other :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is such a fun and hands-on to reinforce the activity with something R loves. I have to look for this book.

Unknown said...

What a great idea! My daughter would love that book because she's a little ballerina herself. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fun way to learn math. Isn't it great when the oldest helps. My youngest two think their older brother hung the moon, so they love when he teaches them anything.

The Mom I Want To Be said...

What a cute idea! I'll have to find this book :)

Sherri said...

This is fantastic!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Lovely girly way to stretch a story and teach a little math! My daughter danced in a group of four during her ballet recital last November. I'm sure she'd love this one!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful. I love how you snuck in a ninth ballerina.

Joyful Learner said...

I LOVE LOVE this! Ballet math...that's a theme that's worth doing! I'm bookmarking this. THanks for sharing!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Great theme and activity too! Wonderful idea! Kerri