Monday, January 10, 2011

A Penguin Sandwich

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I like to make cute food.  Sometimes, I have to admit, the cute food is not the least bit appealing to my children.  This sandwich was one of those foods.  Oh well, I'm going to share it anyway.

I began by using a circle cookie cutter to cut a piece of bread.  You could also use a glass to cut the circle shape.


I covered that circle with tiny trapeze all natural marshmallow creme.  It's like Fluff, but from Whole Foods.


Then I cut another circle out of bread, covered that in chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella) and cut the circle in half to make wings.


A peppermint patty became the head, and I used icing to make the eyes, beak, and feet.  Guess who ate the sandwich?  Me!  I thought it was good!  C ate the peppermint patty though!


Even though the kids didn't want to try my penguin sandwich, they were happy to listen to the book I chose.  Penguin Day by Victoria Winteringham is a fun picture book that follows a colony of penguins from dawn to dusk.  We especially like the silly illustrations of penguins doing laundry, bathing, and making art!!!

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Those are cute sandwiches! The book sounds interesting, we will have to look for it at our library.

Miller Moments said...

Adorable! I love your food art.

MaryAnne said...

Super cute penguin snack, and the book sounds adorable!

Unknown said...

I do believe I would eat the sandwich too- YUM!

Anonymous said...

Looks adorable and sounds tasty to me.. Sammy doesn't like chocolate so I might have to try this with something else black (maybe a jelly).

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing it - I have to look for it.

momandkiddo said...

And you know what? Moms deserve cute snacks, too!

Ticia said...

Well, I think they're cute, and I'm sure they tasted great.

Sherri said...

That is so cute!
I had to laugh...because I love to make food into things we are studying or doing too...and often my kids don't like the end result.
These are absolutely adorable! LOVE THEM!!

Unknown said...

I would have loved to sit and help you eat that wonderful sandwich. JDaniel would too.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What is not to like about this adorable, tasty, yummy sandwich??? I know R has a thing against marshmallows, but seriously!! :-)

Totally craving Nutella now... That stuff is awesome!

What I Did Today said...

So cute! Don't feel bad. My oldest won't eat 75% of what I offer her, cute or not!

Anonymous said...

It's cute! Fluff and nutella...I'm there! You many know this already, but if you get Netflix, they have a couple of good documentaries on penguins.

Jenny said...

Cute! LOL that you were the one to eat the sandwich.

The Mom I Want To Be said...

What would a kid not love about a cute fluff and nutella sandwich? I added your adorable picture to my tumblr site. Thanks!!