Monday, January 3, 2011

Prairie Schooner Craft and R's First Chapter Book


R finally sat through a chapter book.  Not only did she sit through it, she could not wait to find out what happened in the next chapter, so we read the whole book in two sittings.  Pioneer Cat by William H. Hooks is about a nine year old girl traveling with her family from Missouri to Oregon by wagon train.  She finds a cat in Missouri and decides that she has to take her on the trip.  When her mother says that she can take anything that will fit in her box, Kate sees that as an opportunity to take the cat.  This is a nice book about friendship - Kate left behind a good friend in her hometown, meets a new friend on the trail, and also has the friendship of the cat, Snuggs.  I like this book for the detail about the trail too; there is a buffalo stampede, a dangerous river crossing, and a confrontation with Native Americans.  We also get some details about what it is like to be a child on the trail and what it was like to only be able to take some belongings and leave other things behind.  The book is also only nine chapters and sixty-three pages, so it is a nice chapter book for young children.

I made prairie schooners for C and R.  They are nothing fancy, and might fall apart, but they are playing with them a little.  Sigh.  Honestly, they can't really compete with all of the new Christmas toys around here, but they can sit on a shelf and serve as a reminder of our Oregon Trail lessons.  I guess that will have to do for now.


I cut a half gallon milk carton in half.  I used both halves because I made two wagons, but you only need one half if you are making one wagon.


I covered the carton halves with brown paper bags and used masking tape to attach the paper inside the cartons.


Next, I made a little bench for the Oregon Trail emigrants to sit on in their wagon.  I made it by folding a piece of cardboard (from a cracker box) into the shape of a bench.  I used tape and glue to hold it in place.


Then we decided the bench needed a back, so I folded more cardboard and attached it with glue.


I cut straws and attached them with tape to the inside of the wagon.  Florist wire was inserted into each of the straw pieces and shaped to form the frame for the cover. 


I cut another brown paper grocery bag for the cover.  Crumpling it into a ball and then flattening it made it look a little more authentic.


The wheels on this wagon are lids from cans with masking tape wrapped around the rims.  I just hot glued them to the sides of the wagon.  The other wagon I made, has Skippy peanut butter lids for wheels, and they were also hot glued.  It would be nice to make wagons with working wheels, but I wasn't ready for that!


To make the prairie schooners, I mostly followed the directions found at Looledo.  I improvised a bit on a few of the steps.

For those of you with older children, I found this really cool project that includes calculating how much items weigh and figuring out what you would take in your wagon for the Oregon Trail trip.   I'm considering presenting T with the assignment.  I'm sure he will be very excited about it.

15 comments:

momandkiddo said...

You are so ambitious. It pays off with the cuteness. They came out really well

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Working wheels would just need two straws with dowels through them, taped to the bottom, with the dowels stuck through holes in the middle of the lids. But, either way, they are very cute.

Annette W. said...

Incredible!

What will your next chapter book be? I want to start, too. Tumtum and Nutmeg may have been too long for M.

Debbie said...

I love how your covered wagon turned out. Selena just loved hers when we made it. She still has it, though she doesn't play with it as much as she use to. I am going to bookmark this chapter book, I know it would be one that Selena would enjoy when she is ready for chapter books.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Awww... they look SO cute!! Congrats to R on her first chapter book -- what a milestone! :-)

Jenny said...

Awesome wagons!

You will have to start reading The Littles books to R. Abby loves them and doesn't want me to stop reading!

Ticia said...

We loved our wagons but the kids eventually broke ours from playing with it

And ditto what Leah said on the straws and dowrls. It's no that hard

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Really cute wagon. I was thinking of building one as well using Tinkertoys for a framework with working wheels, but I didn't get around to it yet. The book looks interesting - I wonder if Anna will like it. I'll look for it in the library.

Rebecca said...

Aww, yay for her first chapter book!! I loved reading chapter books as a kid and read tons of them. I hope my kids have my same love of reading.

Peterson Party said...

Ahh, I remember this book from when I was in elementary school!

Sherri said...

That is a super fun craft!

Joyful Learner said...

I remember one group in my graduate class had to make life sized covered wagons. I just had to write a newsletter pretending it was from the pioneer days. We didn't use any books which is kind of weird now that I think about it. Your covered wagons came out great! We will have to try that sometime.

Anonymous said...

These turned out great!!

April said...

Congratulations on the chapter book milestone!

Elle Belles Bows said...

That is a superb craft!! Thanks for sharing! You are amazing! Kerri