Thursday, January 6, 2011

Papa and the Pioneer Quilt


We really enjoyed Papa and the Pioneer Quilt by Jean Van Leeuwen.  I wrote about this book (and the other Oregon Trail books we read) in my post on Saturday, so I will just write a quick summary here.  It is about a family heading west along the Oregon Trail; the father has moved the family quite a few times and mother likes to say he has "wandering feet".  The daughter collects pieces of cloth along the way, and when they arrive in Oregon, she and her mother sew a quilt that serves as a keepsake of their journey.

I gave C and R rectangles of white card stock.  I drew a line for them to cut along to make the rectangles into squares for their quilts.  They decorated them however they wanted.


C tried to replicate the "Wandering Foot" pattern from the book.  According to the author's note, the pattern was popular in the mid-nineteenth century and celebrated the idea of striking out on one's own.


R calls her pattern "Dinosaur Bug".  She is not one to stick to what is in a book.  She is all about doing her own thing!

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures, Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted Art, and Read, Explore, Learn at JDaniel4's Mom.  Check out all three sites for great ideas!

16 comments:

Debbie said...

This is such a cute idea. That is one thing I miss about my Grandma was the lovely made quilts she always made.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Great idea, and I loved how different R and C were in their approach. The book sounds very interesting too.

Ticia said...

I love quilts from that era. I'm really looking forward to when we study the Civil War in a few years and we can read "Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt."

Miller Moments said...

You always find the greatest books!

Jenny said...

LOL about R. Abby is the same way!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Dinosaur bug looks like a very interesting pattern!

April said...

That's cute that your daughter does her own thing. Its probably better that way.

My daughter always has her own ideas as well:)

Rebecca said...

I used to love paying The Oregon Trail computer game when i was younger, haha! They did a great job on their quilts :)

RedTedArt said...

A lovely. I think it is a great idea to get the children copying patterns - a really good way to look at details and improve concentration... though my little one is no where near this yet!!!

Love the sound of the book too!

Thank you for linking up!

Maggy

Brimful Curiosities said...

I think you need to have your daughter help you make a real Dinosaur Bug quilt. Bet you'd win some awards!

I have a nine patch quilt my grandmother for me as a wedding gift. It is one of my most cherished possessions.

Unknown said...

Hi. I'm your newest follower. I just found your blog from a link on Musings of Me's blog. I love your 50 states idea, and believe I'll be studying the states for this next year too. Thanks for inspiring!

What I Did Today said...

What a fun idea! I'll have to go check that book out at the library. I've loved pioneer stories ever since I was 7, when my Oma gave me the Little House series.

Jenny said...

Aw, that sounds like a neat book! I love cute fiction books that are historically based.

Unknown said...

The book sounds wonderful. I love that one followed a pattern and one made their own.

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. I Stumbled this post.

Victoria ObSEUSSed said...

Thanks for sharing this book. I love Pioneer books. I like your quilt idea to get the kids to think about it more too. Found you on JDaniel4's Mom.
- @obSEUSSed

The girl who painted trees said...

My daughter loves pioneer books. She would love this.