Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Heart is Like A Zoo - Valentine Craft


We are currently enjoying My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall.  Each page of the book features a different animal created out of heart shapes with a description about how the narrator's heart is like each animal.  The heart is eager as a beaver, steady as a yak, hopeful as a hungry heron fishing for a snack, etc.  It's a wonderful book, perfect for all ages, and perfect for a Valentine's Day craft project.

C and R each chose their favorite animal from the book and we recreated the animals with construction paper.  I cut out the shapes and they assembled them by looking at the animals in the book.



R needed a little help, but C was able to do this on his own.  He could have cut out the shapes too, now that I think of it.

R recreated Frightened as a rabbit:


C recreated bothered as a bull with a hornet in its hair:
Now, of course, they want to make all of the animals in the book!!!  I am not sure that I am up for that, but we might make a few more.

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures and Kids Get Crafty at Red Ted Art.  Click on over to both sites for more great ideas.

19 comments:

Mozer said...

They turned out so cute! We read that book and did some crafts too. We did the seal and the frog. I made a template for them: My Heart is Like a Zoo Crafts

Brimful Curiosities said...

That is such an inspirational book. It is amazing how many animals you can create out of hearts.

Debbie said...

We enjoyed this book so much! Love their recreations!

Annette W. said...

This book has been on my wish list for a year! I think you recommended it, too.

I love them both!

Mrs. Whary said...

I am going to have to get this book - too cute!!!!

Miller Moments said...

How cute is that!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful book. Love the art projects that they were able to create.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Oh my goodness, they must have loved this if they want to make all the animals in the book!! Love how they turned out, and I'm adding the book to our library list -- thank you!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Beautiful craft! I love how the animals turned out. We read this book last year, but Anna was not at all interested in making animals out of hearts.

RedTedArt said...

We have that book too - it is soooo lovely! And I LOVE your kids art! It is like doing a puzzle. What fun!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!

Maggy

Ticia said...

I so need to get that. It'd be wildly popular

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I was just thinking about checking that book out again. C has been working through all the heart shaped cut-and-glue animals from DLTK-kids, it would fit right in.

Unknown said...

Ooohh, I LOVE this! I must get my hands on that book. Thank-you so much for sharing.

SweetandSimpleThings said...

Awesome! We just did a little version of this with butterflies and mice but the zoo animals are awesome! I'm off to request this book from our library!

MaryAnne said...

Emma would LOVE this book! I'll have to see if our library has it...

Elle Belles Bows said...

Oh my goodness! This book has been such a hit in our house! The hubby has been getting in on it and making the animals from the book out of play dough with Ella. I love how your craft turned out! Ella's favorite is the bull too (I think because she sees the bee/hornet in it). Thanks for sharing! Kerri

Jenny said...

Must find this book....

Seriously these are so cute. Abby would love it!

Jenny said...

YES! I just requested it from the library, thanks!

Sherri said...

Loving this!
My kids would have a great time!