Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Beaver State - a Beaver Snack and Some Drawings


We finished up our studies of the state of Oregon by reading  B is for Beaver, An Oregon Alphabet by Marie and Roland Smith.  I love this series of books.  For C and R, I stick to the simpler text that goes through the alphabet and points out something about the state for each letter.  Occasionally, if they find something interesting, we will read the more detailed text about that alphabet fact.

Oregon is the Beaver State because Oregon was the main source of beaver furs when beaver fur hats were popular.  The animal was almost trapped to extinction until a law was passed in the early 1900s to save the beaver.

We learned a little about beavers including the fact that they live in dome-shaped homes on the water made out of branches, sticks, and mud.  Their homes are called lodges.  Originally, I was going to make some kind of beaver cookie or cupcake, but I decided that beaver lodges would make a much better snack!  So easy, and yet so memorable!  C and R won't forget where beavers live!

C and R made their own lodges by putting a dollop of Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread (mud) on a plate and then piling on some pretzel sticks (branches and sticks).  The hazelnut in the Nutella is especially significant because 98 percent of the hazelnuts grown in the United States are grown in Oregon.  Since I also had some hazelnuts in the cabinet, I decided to add a few to the "lodges".



C and R also drew their own beavers.  I looked for a good "how to draw a beaver" site, but nothing was working for us, so they both just looked at the pictures we had and drew them freehand.

This is C's beaver drawing:

Here is R's beaver:


I am linking this to the geography linky at Children Grow, Children Explore, Children Learn.

20 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Great ideas - and drawings! You're making me homesick for Oregon :) Of course, if you're going to study the state, you need to eat something with blackberries, too - because most of western Oregon is covered in them.

Christy Killoran said...

@Almost Unschooling Mom: It wasn't until I read your comment that I went back and checked the book. I didn't think anything of it because they are called Marionberries in the book. After reading the notes, I see that Marionberries are a cross of two types of blackberries!!!

Debbie said...

Great study! I love their beaver dams! We enjoy visiting Oregon in fact I have a few posts about Oregon and it's history, one talks about one of the most historical towns in Oregon, the other is about my family's homestead when they came across the Oregon trail.

http://whisperswhispering.blogspot.com/2010/07/geographyhistory-4th-of-july-trek.html

http://whisperswhispering.blogspot.com/2007/12/promise-oregon.html

Jenny said...

That's a cute snack! I like that series of alphabet books also. We've read MO and FL.

Ticia said...

Oh that does sound yummy.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I especially love the snack -- and had NO idea that 98% of hazelnuts grown in the US are grown in Oregon! But honestly, I'll take any excuse to eat more Nutella. ;-)

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fun lesson plan. They did a great job on their drawings.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What an inventive idea to have a beaver lodge for a snack. We read about beavers when we learned more about The Hoover Dam, but I didn't think about lodge snack (or Hoover Dam snack for that matter). I am really impressed with C's drawing - his beaver is pretty realistic.

Joyful Learner said...

Both K and my husband will like this book since they are beaver fans and husband went to University of Oregon!

Joyful Learner said...

Great drawings, by the way!

Sherri said...

I love studying Beavers...they are such cool animals!

love the activities!

Unknown said...

If I were a beaver, I'd slap my tail in happiness to see such a FUN snack and drawing lesson- excellent!

Unknown said...

I lodge looks like a great snack. The drawings are so well done.

Glad you have a very clean dish at the end of the day too.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I think the beavers turned out well! A couple years back while on a walk along a small river we came across the brilliant work of some beavers. So interesting how they can topple a tree.

Phyllis said...

I like the beaver dam snack and the sketches. I didn't know that about Marion berries.

What I Did Today said...

So cute and creative! Love the beaver drawings and now I need to go get pretzels to go with my nutella. Cravings!

Mara said...

My oldest was talking about beavers today. He loves to spout out animal facts. I was drawn to your activity bc of the snack though. lol Besides the fact that I really like Nutella, we are playing with food this week also.

Anonymous said...

Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!! I saw a comment you left on another blog and didn't want to say anything. Very happy for you. Happy sleeping.

April said...

We read the Maine and Alaska book in that series. My daughter wasn't the least bit interested in the Maine one but she really liked the Alaska one and would ask me to read it to her.

I started looking for beaver links because there was a recent Diego episode that featured them. Here a few of them if you are interested...

http://www.montessorimom.com/beavers-newsletter/

http://www.squidoo.com/beavers