On May 16, Reagan and Kate ran in the one mile color run to raise money for technology in our schools. A color run is one of those races where the volunteers throw colored powder at all of the runners. I'm not sure why anyone ever thought this was a good idea; the powder gets in your mouth and your eyes and up your nose, but most of the kids did not seem to mind!
This was Kate's first race; Reagan has run in a couple of races, but this was her first color run.
Dad provided a little encouragement for Kate.
Friday, May 29, 2015
Kate loves her ponies, so I was happy to find some cute printables for her online, and we had fun using the ponies for lots of learning fun.
I taught Kate about sorting. We dumped all of her ponies on the kitchen table and then talked about how the ponies are alike and different.
Thursday, May 28, 2015
Eighteen years ago, this baby boy made me a mom.
I cannot believe that eighteen years have passed. I hate to even write that because I find myself saying it all the time! Where did the time go? How is it possible that another year has gone by? But it's true; the time just flies by.
A few thoughts:
- Through the years he has made me smile, laugh, cry, and yell. I just hope all of his memories are of the smiling and laughing, and maybe a few of the happy tears..
- I have cheered for him through seasons of baseball, soccer, basketball, swim team, tennis, football, and track. He kept us busy!
- Tyler is very intelligent. He's very mathematical and logical.
- No one can beat him at games of checkers or anything like that because he can somehow see things on the board that most people just don't see. I don't know how to explain it!
- He is a reader.
- Everyone loves Tyler. He is incredibly likeable. Adults are always telling us what a fine young man he is, and how they really enjoy his company.
- He used to talk and talk and talk. He is not quite as talkative now, but Reagan has been happy to take over that role. He would talk to anyone who would listen. I remember being at Olivia Charest's first birthday party (Tyler was seven) and we saw him sitting in a room talking and talking and talking to Olivia's grandparents. Paul (Olivia's dad) came over to us and let us know that the grandparents didn't speak a word of English!!! Tyler didn't care; he just had a lot to say!
- He also made friends faster than anyone. Within minutes of being at the beach or a playground, Tyler had new friends! He still has this awesome trait; I wish I could be like this.
- Tyler often makes his siblings so happy - he will take Collin to Game Stop or play with the girls. Sometimes he will bring them ice cream or doughnuts! He was awesome when Kate was a newborn; somehow when Tom and I were incapable of soothing her, Tyler had a special touch that calmed her immediately.
- I remember how excited he was to become a big brother. After seven years of being an only child, he was thrilled when we told him the news, and I still remember him first meeting Collin in the hospital and then sitting on the front steps of our house waiting for us to bring home his baby brother.
- He still loves trucks and country music.
- There are so many common teenage activities that cause parents huge headaches (drinking, drugs, etc.), and we have been so very fortunate to not have to deal with any of that stuff. He really has been a good kid.
- I cannot help but think of all of the mistakes I made - the times I got frustrated with him or yelled at him, the times when he needed me and I was too busy or preoccupied to help, the things I haven't taught him....I could go on and on. I am certainly not perfect, but I love this boy with all of my heart and I hope he knows that.
|Bacon hot chocolate from Auntie Karen, Uncle Mark, & Hannah|
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
I figured she might like to learn a little about the life cycle of ladybugs, so I ordered ladybug larvae from Insect Lore. When the Ladybug Land arrived, we sprinkled in the food and the larvae and watched them grow, enter the pupal stage, and emerge as adult ladybugs.
Kate did a great job creating the ladybug life cycle.