Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 6 of Fizzy Fun - The Root Beer Float


I thought ending our fizzy fun with root beer floats would be perfect, and it was.  My favorite activities are those that attract all three of my children, and T (a big fan of root beer and ice cream) was happy to join us for this science lesson!

The science behind the root beer float is the same as the Mentos/Soda Fountain, but not as messy and definitely tastier!  You can click here to read more about the science.

Before making the floats, I asked all three children whether they thought adding ice cream to already poured root beer would create more fizz than pouring root beer over ice cream in a glass.  C and R both thought more fizz would be created by adding the ice cream to the soda, but T thought the opposite.

Root Beer poured over ice cream

Ice cream added to a glass of Root Beer
T was right!





Fizzy, frothy, fantastic fun!

9 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Looks like T is a man of experience when it comes to rootbeer floats!

April said...

You know right when I read your first fizzy fun post, I guessed that you were going to do root beer floats! I was just waiting for it! Yummy, we used to make those all the time when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

Totally craving one of these now! Thanks! ;-) Perfect way to end the fizzy fun!

MaryAnne said...

I love the predictions!

Mike had a root beer float with his dad after school every day growing up, so I'm sure we'll be doing this with our kids (not every day, though!)

Ticia said...

I never thought to add it to the root beer after it was poured.......

Mmmm...... root beer float, I agree totally craving one now.

Jenny said...

Yummy fun!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's good to see T making a guest appearance on your blog :) Great experiment!

Rebecca said...

I totally want a root beer float now! How r u feeling? Whats your DD again?

Sherri said...

The perfect end to a great week of fizz!