Saturday, July 23, 2011

Fun With Food - Day 2 - Rainbow Pops

It was over 100 degrees yesterday, so our food fun activity just HAD to be making popsicles.  We made two different varieties of rainbow pops.

For the first kind, I made vanilla pudding and separated it into six bowls.  I used Jello instant vanilla pudding and followed the directions on the box to make the pudding.  We then used food coloring to make each bowl of pudding one color of the rainbow.  Then, we spooned the pudding into our popsicle molds, layering the colors of the rainbow.


The nice thing about pudding is that it layers without blending, so we could make the entire rainbow before freezing.



We used fruits and juices to make the second kind of rainbow pop.  To avoid color blending, we had to freeze each layer before adding the next layer. 

 This is what we used:
  • red layer - strawberries blended with a little yogurt 
  • orange layer - orange juice
  • yellow layer - lemonade
  • green layer - mashed kiwi
  • blue/purple layer - blueberries blended with a little lemonade

    C thinks the pudding pops are the tastiest; from what I can remember, they taste like Jello Pudding Pops.  I really like the fruit/juice pops; they are very refreshing.  R thinks they are both okay, but not a treat she would like to eat again.

    Another activity checked off on the Summer Bucket List!!

    *We use, and LOVE, Tovolo Popsicle Molds to make all of our popsicles.

    10 comments:

    Annette W. said...

    Oh, they both look like fun!!

    MaryAnne said...

    Great idea to use pudding!

    Karen Wilson said...

    Which were better? Do the pudding ones taste like Jello pudding pops?

    Christy Killoran said...

    I ate one of the fruit/juice popsicles and it was really good. I haven't tried the pudding pop, but C loved it. I'll let you know what I think.

    Christy Killoran said...

    I tried the pudding pop - YUM! I think it tastes like a Jello pudding pop, at least from what I remember.

    Kori said...

    I tried doing layered juice ones and couldn't freeze each layer without sticking the handle in. If I waited until it was frozen the handle wouldn't go in, but if they weren't frozen then they mixed. How did you manage it?

    Ticia said...

    I need to get some popsicle molds because this looks like so much fun.

    I wonder if chocolate pudding owuld work....

    Sherri said...

    I am excited to try these molds..we have tried many...and I have not fallen in love yet!

    Kelly said...

    They both look great!

    Little Wonders' Days

    Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

    Impressive! They both look very yummy to me.