Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sharpie Tie Dye Bandanas


We are having fun with our tie dye theme this week.  If you read many blogs, then you must know that sharpie tie dyeing is popping up everywhere.  I think I first saw it mentioned at Our Nifty Notebook with a link to Sun Scholars.  We tried it on bandanas, and this is how we did it:

Our plain white bandanas came from Wal-Mart (in the craft section) and they were $1.00 each.  I began by placing as many cups as possible under the bandanas and holding them in place with rubber bands.  We used nine cups for each bandana.


Then, C and R used Sharpies to color designs on each of the nine circles.


R designed this bandana

This is C's design

Next, they used a dropper to put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the center of each design.  I have to admit they got a bit carried away, but that worked out okay for us.



The ink spread quickly (red, pink, and green seem to spread the best); we left the bandanas on the cups to dry.



C and R were happy with the finished results:

This is R's finished bandana

This is C's finished bandana

I think they came out great, and now they can be worn in many different ways,




or they can be used for doll blankets,


and I am sure that C and R will come up with many more uses for their new tie dyed bandanas.

For the science behind sharpie tie dyeing, check out Steve Spangler's website!

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Very pretty! They almost have a batik look.
Little Wonders' Days

Jen said...

What a great idea! Have a good day. :)

MaryAnne said...

They turned out great! We definitely need to try this!

Anonymous said...

Cute!! Love how these turned on out!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Another thing to add to our to-do list!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I like your approach and the result. They both look so pleased with their self-decorated bandanas.

Ticia said...

The bandana idea is a good one. I might have to try that next. It's amazing how the same project can look so different with different people doing it.

Mary Prather said...

I love it! We are going to do this SOON!

Thanks!

Jenny said...

Thanks for mentioning me!

That's a great idea to use bandanas, a bit cheaper than shirts!

Abby also got carried away with hers and was drawing animals and everything. We ended up leaving those as is and not using the alcohol on them.

Sherri said...

I love all things tye dye...I love this activity!

jenn said...

My daughter and niece did this today to some old t-shirts--they turned out great! Thanks for the idea!

jenn said...

My daughter and niece did this today to some old t-shirts. They turned out great! Thanks for the idea!

Unknown said...

We are making these today -- I also blogged about it:

http://www.homegrownlearners.com/2011/08/this-and-that-our-first-week-back-to.html

Thanks for such a great idea!!