Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fun With Food - Day 1 - Dirt Pudding


My kids love dirt, especially C, but they both enjoy digging in it on a regular basis.  When I saw the book, Dirt by Steve "The Dirtmeister" Tomecek at the library, I figured it would be a fun way to sneak in a little bit of learning in the summer.

The book explains how soil is made, how soil changes as you dig deep, and what each layer of soil is called.

Dirt pudding is the best dirt themed snack, and Almost Unschoolers has the coolest soil horizon pudding recipe.  We decided to copy that for the most part.  It begins with a sugar cookie bedrock, followed by smaller sugar cookies for weathered parent rock, topped by pudding topsoil and Heath bits gravel (Almost Unschoolers used cookie crumbs),  with a final layer of pudding and "organic material" (we used more Heath bits, but Almost Unschoolers used nuts and butterscotch chips).  We happened to have some gummy worms in the house, so we topped our dirt pudding with some of the most important creatures found in the soil.

Yummiest dirt I have ever seen.

We are having fun with food over the next few days; it should be lots of fun!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Yum, this looks like fun! I love the weekly themes you're doing.
Little Wonders'Days

Ticia said...

I agree with Kelly these weekly themes look like so much fun.

I should remember this for when we study botany or maybe geology.....

Sherri said...

My kids eat dirt..mud...sand..you name it...so I love to make mud cups..and then let them go at it..nothing grainy in their teeth!

Jenny said...

Yum! I love dirt cake. It has oreo then vanilla pudding mixed with cream cheese. Then more crushed oreos on top. I think there's some powdered sugar in the pudding part too.

MaryAnne said...

What a treat! You are an awesome mom =)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I couldn't bring myself to add the worms :) But, the Heath Bits sound great!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Who doesn't love edible dirt?! Looks delicious and I love the idea of the different layers.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Dirt that is good to eat? Great idea for this book. I thought the book was a bit dry though - Anna didn't quite connect with it.