Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Homemade Face Paint


We have been making homemade face/body paint at least once a year for the past three years or so, and it is always a lot of fun.  Making face paint is on our Summer Bucket List this year, so we mixed some up this past weekend.


Ingredients:
corn starch
water
mild lotion
food coloring
stirrers - one for each color (we used popsicle sticks)
applicators (we used cotton swabs)

Directions:
I use a six cup silicone muffin pan to make the face paint.  I think this keeps everything contained and makes for easy preparation.  In each muffin cup put: 1 tsp cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon - 1 teaspoon water (enough so that it mixes well), 1/2 teaspoon baby lotion or whatever you use on your children (something mild), and 2 drops (or desired amount) food coloring.

Use separate stirrers to mix each color.

We use cotton swabs to apply the face paint.

It was 100 degrees and C decided to wear long sleeves!







Face paint fun is always followed up with bubble baths (a rare treat around here), and it washes off pretty easily.

11 comments:

Jen said...

"Mom- do we have cornstach, we want to make facepaint!" My daughter looking over my shoulder as I read your blog. I guess I'll be heading our for corn starch. Your son in his long sleeves- something my girls would do! :)

Ticia said...

My boys do that too. I keep thinking they have to be boiling.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love all the pretty colors! Face paint was a big hit here as well.

Debbie said...

This post couldn't come at a better time. I am keeping this handy as I know face painting goes over huge at the Back to School Block Party every year. Thank you for sharing!

Jenny said...

That is fun! I'll be bookmarking this for later!

Susan said...

I am definitely saving these directions! I know my girls will LOVE this :) Thanks!

Kelly said...

Looks fun. Cute about the long sleeves.
Little Wonders' Days

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What fun!! I wish Emily would be willing to try something like this -- she won't even let the makeup artist come near her when we do tv segments. Crazy kid!

Also, I mis-read the last sentence, so for a brief minute thought you rarely gave the kids baths. LOL

MaryAnne said...

We'll have to give your recipe a try!

My kids dress way off-season like this sometimes, too.

Sherri said...

This looks like a blast!

Amy said...

Thanks, we had fun doing this today. We did have some trouble getting the darker colors to come off though.